In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rough Stock Fittings

wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
edited June 2011 in Ask the Experts
Whats the trick to fitting a replacement stock other than patience and lots of file chisels & sandpaper?

Doing a buttstock on a Ithaca 12 ga. So far its brutal!

Comments

• Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a lot of lipstick on the metal contact surfaces so that when I press the metal into the stock I get a transfer and can see where I need to take off more wood. You did hit the key,Patience! Another very handy tool is a barrel channel scraper, I got mine from Brownell's, it is the one that looks like a bunch of coins with spacers in between. These make a nice clean cut as you drag them thru the channel. Just order the diameter you need based on the diameter of your barrel.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the lipstick tip...
    Been using the rotax with a small grinder for indents. Patience is key and going slow with small chisel and medium sander and hand work...

God bless those old time smiths. What a art it is!
  • Options
    SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    anything that will transfer will work. they make a stock inletting black that you ca buy from Brownells. apply with a acid brush. you are right, lots of patience and sharp tools.
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, lipstick works great.. You can thin it with Vaseline to make it spread easier..
  • Options
    DokeyDokey Member Posts: 941 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use my wife's lipstick , the kind that comes with a foam brush. Works great