In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ship handgun to self - another State

Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
edited June 2011 in Ask the Experts
I realize that long guns can be shipped to self in another State via UPS, etc.. I'd imagine that handguns can be sent likewise. Is it fairly straight forward?

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Generally straight forward unless you are thinking of shipping it into a state which requires a handgun permit or some other sort of licensing. New York State requires all handguns shipped into the state originate from an FFL dealer so that would also cause some potential problems.
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As was stated, unless local laws have additional restrictions (better check to be sure), you can ship both long guns and handguns to yourself in another state. In this case federal law DOES require you to alert the carrier that the package has a firearm because it is NOT going to an FFL and it is going interstate. It must be addressed to yourself at that address and no one at that address should open the package until you arrive and do it yourself. Competitive shooters and hunters traveling long distances use this method to avoid the hassle of carrying their firearms on long trips and to avoid uneducated airport staff. You can use the USPS for your long guns. No problem. Here's the snag with handguns. You will have to use a common carrier. UPS or FedEx may not be willing to ship a handgun to a non-FFL recipient, EVEN THOUGH IT IS LEGAL UNDER FEDERAL LAW. Nothing says they have to take it. If they assume that position, you have to bend over and assume another position [}:)] and ship it to a willing FFL at the other end. In this case, don't try to get around them by NOT declaring the contents. That is a federal violation and a VERY stiff punishment. [xx(]
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mark & Pat - thanks for the input and answers!

Other than the potential for specific restrictive local regulations regarding handguns, I had anticipated that shipping to my self would mimic the long guns.

I would be hard pressed to think of many places in the States that would be more oppressive than where I'm located. That is the primary reason that I am relocating ... not a simple or straight forwared process for me (or most anyone else for that matter!).

I had checked on the other end with the State Attorney General's Office and then the local L.E offices regarding firearms, handguns and CCPs. So I was not anticipating any wrinkles to the picture.

Figured that if anyone would know or anticipate anything else, then you folks would!

Thank you very much with your assistance!

Best, Alan