In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Never seen a 11 ga?

MMMarvisMMMarvis Member Posts: 99 ✭✭
edited June 2011 in Ask the Experts
Found this locally

J.Manton & Co. London Fine Damascus, 20" Side By Side Barrels Thought to be 10 ga. But Both Barrels marked 11. Fully Operational But Do Not Recommend the Firing of Modern Ammo. Fully Engraved Receiver and Trigger Guard with Checkered Forearm. External Hammers, SN/ S...139 Very Nice Looking Gun With the Short Barrels and Large Gauge it Could Have Been a Coach Gun.

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?ahid=3786&aid=39950&lid=10611043#topoflot

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very doubtful that barrels are original length. Although it's marked J. Manton it's most likely to be a Belgian knock-off, that used the famous English name to deceive gullible Americans. The Proof Marks on the underside of the barrels and the watertable will show the country of origin.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cannot speak to THAT shotgun, but my references DO speak of obsolete 11, 14, 15, and 18 guage shotshells. Of those, I have 2 specimens in 14 gauge. The others have eluded me thus far.
  • Options
    MMMarvisMMMarvis Member Posts: 99 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Even number gauges is common, Odd like 11,15 are odd indeed.

I like the E gauge, if you follow the charts a 40mm is E
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MMMarvis
    Even number gauges is common, Odd like 11,15 are odd indeed.

I like the E gauge, if you follow the charts a 40mm is E

Better verify your dimensions. Biggest I'm aware of that was actually shoulder fired, rather then used in a punt gun was 4 Gauge. This was approximately 1 1/8 inches diameter or 29mm.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    THE 'DOUBLE GUN JOURNAL' HAD A RIGHT-UP ABOUT ONE SEVERAL YEARS AGO, GOOGLE 'POKER PARKER'. THE WRITERS DAD WON IT IN A POKER GAME IN THE 1920'S.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you have there a made in Belgium copy of the good Manton shot guns. Look for a
    "E/LG" inside of an oval {proofmark}. They were sold by Crescent fire arms. {H D Forsom}
    Most likely a 10 gauge.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got an 11 gage Wm Moore London percussion double.