In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Savage Favorite 30 changing it to takedown

templin9templin9 Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
edited June 2011 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone know what would be involved in changing a Savage 30 22lr from the normal model to a takedown? Is this something someone could do at home? I have smithed numerous guns but never changed out a barrel, so I do have experience working on guns, though usually older ones. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not sure it is as simple as a barrel change. You will need the thumb screw for the TD model also. I might ask why do this, as the parts might cost a little, and it would be much simpler to buy another one in the take down model. That would have two plusses. Your Model 30 would be original, and what better could one want, than to have two rifles, instead of one?

Best
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everytime I have looked at mine I have wondered the same thing.
    Not to replace the barrel but some way to make a takedown out of it.
    I've also wondered why they don't make a set of barrels for the takedown model. One rifle with maybe three barrels. 1. .22 L.R.,
    2. .22 Mag & 3. .17 HMR.
    I suggested that idea to some of their reps at the last Phoenix NRA Convention but it doesn't seem to have gone anywhere.
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The .22 Mag and .17 HRM would be easy. Adding the .22 LR would require a different extractor. Converting a non takedown to a takedown could be done but would not be practical in my opinion. It is also my understnding that the .22 Mag and the .17 HRM are no longer in production
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just pulled mine out to look at it & I can see that there likely
    would be a problem making an extractor that would work with both although it just MIGHT be possible for the .22 mag extractor to work with the .22 L.R.
    There are five pins through the frame. It looks as though the only thing holding the barrel is the top front pin. If that pin were to be driven out would the barrel slide out? I have in the past tried to tap it a bit to see but it wouldn't budge. I'm not even sure which way to try to drive it out.