In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Help identifying this barrel

buttplatebuttplate Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
edited June 2011 in Ask the Experts
Hello!
I just received this barrel from a purchase on Gunbroker, and I can't determine what it is for. I bought what I thought was a .38 caliber barrel for a Colt model 1877 lightning. This is what I received. It is 4 3/8" long, the front sight is sitting amongst the roll mark on the top of the barrel, and the threaded end is 15/16" long. It threads into a Lightning frame, but of course the forcing cone is over 1/2" inside the cylinder well.
My suspicions are that this barrel was cut down from a longer one, and rethreaded to fit another Colt revolver. Anyway, I know it isn't the right part, but can anyone tell me what this was modified to fit?
Thank you!
buttplate
000_0207.jpg
000_0210.jpg

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Per the Colt address and patent dates, I believe that it's originally a barrel for a "Colt New Army and Navy Revolver". Since it's obviously been reworked, no telling what revolver it came off.