In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Any info on Norinco Hunter 7.62x39?

CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
edited June 2011 in Ask the Experts
I saw one for sale at the local store, first one I have ever seen. Had a traditional style stock and forend, a flip up rear sight, standard AK front sight, takes standard AK 5, 20, 30 round mags. Looks like a milled receiver? This is what it looks like, but this is not my auction.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=237852139

Here is a wealth of information I found on Chinese AK variants:
http://www.ak-47.us/Article_Detail.php?g=content1146683655

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CS8161
    I saw one for sale at the local store, first one I have ever seen. Had a traditional style stock and forend, a flip up rear sight, standard AK front sight, takes standard AK 5, 20, 30 round mags. Looks like a milled receiver? I can e-mail a photo of it.

What kind of money, they asking for it?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    I saw one for sale at the local store, first one I have ever seen. Had a traditional style stock and forend, a flip up rear sight, standard AK front sight, takes standard AK 5, 20, 30 round mags. Looks like a milled receiver? I can e-mail a photo of it.

What kind of money, they asking for it?

$399
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The price isn't bad. As long as it's factory original you could probably can get your money out of it, if it didn't work out to your expectations.

The ability to accept hi-caps and having a milled receiver is a plus as far as saleability is concerned. Along with it not be imported and sold since the 90's.

The negative is that it's a piss poor knock off of the Valmet sporter with mediocre accuracy and a crappy trigger. Just a fancy upped Chinese AK with a sporter stock, to pass it off as a legitimate hunting rifle for importation.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some people use these go make home-grown Galil builds in 7.62x39:

norincohunterpy3.jpg

I think for $400 its hard to go wrong with a milled receiver Chinese AK derivative in good shape. That's basically what a Saiga is going for, but the Saiga is stamped, and won't take high-caps without modification.

Its pretty unlikely that any more Chinese rifles like this are going to be allowed in the USA, and prices on them are only going in one direction.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I put it on layaway today! Thanks for the info!
  • Options
    vicg1vicg1 Member Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Hunter is not just a milled AK with fancy stock... actually stock and forend are different from other AKs, not interchangeable. No pistol grip comes on them, and the trigger is relocated to the rear to make it easier to pull with normal length fingers when holding.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am going to use it for deer this season, I think it will be fine at under 100 yards using quality soft point ammo. I need to see how it groups when I get it out of layaway.
  • Options
    Pistollero1050Pistollero1050 Member Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Watch your round count. Most states only allow 5 round mags. Penn. doesn't allow semi-autos at all unless your handicapped.
  • Options
    7.62x39Lover7.62x39Lover Member Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a fair deal on a fair rifle in a good caliber.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I picked the Norinco up this morning and after a closer examination, it appears to be unfired. It is in super clean condition and it came with one five round "hunting" magazine. I tried various 20 and 30 round mags in the weapon and they fit perfectly. My only concern is that it shoots to point of aim. There is no adjustment in the rear sight but the front sight is standard AK. Does anyone know how to adjust a front sight on an AK? It appears that a special 90 degree screwdriver is needed to loosen the front sight?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I picked the Norinco up this morning and after a closer examination, it appears to be unfired. It is in super clean condition and it came with one five round "hunting" magazine. I tried various 20 and 30 round mags in the weapon and they fit perfectly. My only concern is that it shoots to point of aim. There is no adjustment in the rear sight but the front sight is standard AK. Does anyone know how to adjust a front sight on an AK? It appears that a special 90 degree screwdriver is needed to loosen the front sight?

GOOGLE, "adjusting AK front sight", there is a bunch of stuff available on the net including U Tube videos. There is a special tool sold that works with both the SKS and AK. It's kind of crude but works OK, in a trial and error manner. Make very small adjustments at a time, starting at 25 yards then at 100.
  • Options
    keystone1974keystone1974 Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll bet u won't have to adjust any thing... The Norinco I had was super accurate , and never jammed.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks! I googled AK sight adjustment and saw the new Magna Matic heavy duty AK sight tool. Looks real easy to use, but I am still concerned about the small screw on the underside of the front sight, is there a 90 degree screwdriver to loosen that before you drift the front sight? I wish it were easier to post photos so you could see what I'm talking about.