In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

"Primer pocket dimensions"

countershaftcountershaft Member Posts: 320 ✭✭✭
edited June 2011 in Ask the Experts
Where can I find the above mentioned for a varied number of rifle calibers ? I can bring up the cartridge drawings with the cartridge measurements but not included are the primer pocket numbers. thanks

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are only two sizes (USA), large 210" diameter and small, .175" diameter.
    Do you need the actual primer pocket dimensional specifications? I have seen them somewhere but do not have them right at hand.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    basically there are 2 Primer sizes for all BOXER primed modern rifle Cartridges Small & Large any other size would be very hard to find . so with no primer available Cartridge drawing os size is a MOOT point.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    There are "specific" primer dimensions for each manufactured primer, Ex. Remington 9 1/2 has a cup thickness of .027" -- a diameter of.2100" and a height of .119", while a Winchester LR primer has the following measurements .027"-.2114"- and .121" in comparison. These differences as compared to the primer pocket dimensions are crucial for fitting the right primer
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I select my primer brand by firing tests, not dimensions.

A 6.5 x 47 what?
    (Yes, I know. I am just not refined enough to have a 6.5 Lap.)

Federal and CCI do ok in my Lapua .308s, though.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Fire a Remington 7 1/2 in a 6.5 x 47 Lapua and see what happens .
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by countershaft
    Fire a Remington 7 1/2 in a 6.5 x 47 Lapua and see what happens .

Try the cci450 in the 47 Lapua............It works!!!

http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.php