In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

taurus PT 908

arkbacksarkbacks Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
edited June 2011 in Ask the Experts
I was interested in info on the Taurus PT 908. I really like mine but don't know much about their history and how high they rate as a cc.

Comments

• Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't give you many details about the history of the gun, other than it was one of Taurus' first original (ie non Beretta-copy) designs and it came out in the early 90s.

The gun has been discontinued for a long time, since the late 90s, though I think Taurus continued with some variants in that line for a few more years afterwards. Taurus isn't putting out small metallic frame autos anymore, probably because most people nowadays prefer polymer for these concealed-carry type guns.

On concealed carry, well, really the whole point of a compact single stack gun like this is concealed carry!

For a variety of reasons, Taurus guns have never been highly esteemed, but ultimately, that's irrelevant to the question of whether or not this gun is suitable for concealed carry.

My take on this is that if your gun runs well, you're comfortable shooting it, and you're able to comfortably carry it concealed, then its a perfectly good choice for concealed carry.

If those things aren't all true, then something else that meets the criteria could be a better choice. Note that a better "name" on the gun doesn't mean the gun is necessarily going to perform any better in your hands.

The only other thing I'd add here, is that quality control on Taurus guns from the early-mid 90s wasn't that great. If you shoot this thing a lot and intend to carry it, I'd make sure to inspect it thoroughly for parts wear every so often.

If any parts fail, Taurus probably will fix the gun up for you, but they can't/won't replace any "other" parts of yours that might get hurt if the gun jams at the wrong moment!