In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

California Sales

lightning2923lightning2923 Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
edited June 2011 in Ask the Experts
In some of the Auction Sites here on GunBroker, seller says "No California Sales".... Why is this? I'm not from California, just curious !
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I am a new FFL dealer. How do I go about selling guns legally in to California and is it even worth messing with? Are assault rifles still banned from being sold and shipped to the state? Isn't there some certification I need to sell guns in to CA from outside? I want to sell there but worried about the legality of it all.

Thanks,
    Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Why do most GB. sales say "no sales to Ca"? And can you sell to a LE officer there?

Thanks
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Most of the "No CA Sales" are a result of sellers making political statements against CA and have little or nothing to do with firearms regulations. CA state law does not allow for direct sales to law enforcement officers; firearms sold to individual officers as duty weapons must be delivered to their agency or to a CA firearms dealer for transfer. Agency purchases must include an invoice from the agency indicating that the firearm is for duty use and be paid for by means of a check from that agency. Officer purchases going through firearms dealers can be paid for by any of the usual payment methods.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Mark. I have a couple guns on GB. for sale but never knew why anyone else was posting this.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    If you are not a FFL dealer there is probably very little chance that an LE agency is going to make a purchase through you and will insist that any firearms sold to one of their officers go through a CA FFL dealer.
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    lightning2923

Mark has it all about covered there.

Some individuals on GB enjoy punishing those unfortuately living in some States such as CA. or other restrictive areas.

Sorta like kicking a good guy while he is down; after someone else knocked him down!

Some folks don't know, or care what is right and what ain't. (That is their call though.)

Or they just tend to think there is something to be proud about by shining on folks in a fix already.

Kinda like watching wolf packs:

... in the healthy wolf packs, the members help one another.
    ( That is how they tend to be able to fend off big problems like ... bear ... as a group, or a unit.
    ( They tend to eat better too, because the pack or team can take down larger game more often.

... in the unhealthy wolf packs the members ignore the others or attack them when they could use some assist.
    ( More like street punks attacking who ever is distracted or in a fix, even others that had thought themselves a part of the pack!

Professionals refer to the first group as "healthy and functional".

The second group they refer to as "unhealthy and disfunctional" ... mentally and functionally.

The vast majority of wolf packs belong to the first group.
    With some of the GBers, the therapists are still .... evaluating! [?] [;)] [:(]
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One thing that has been left out of the sales to CA discussion is that a ffl dealer from outside CA has to register with the CA Dept of Justice and then get Firearms Shipment Approval from the CA DOJ before shipping to a CA dealer. I have shipped one gun to CA under this system and getting the Firearms Shipment Approval went smoothly, nevertheless it is more red tape to go through if you ship to CA. It has nothing to do with "enjoying punishing those unfortunately living in CA....".

Some potential buyers turn and walk away when I produce a 4473 for them to complete when I am selling at a gun show. This is when my dealer ffl is prominently displayed on my table. That is their business. Same with sales tax. Some looked shocked and back out of the deal when I mention that I have to collect sales tax. They are not punishing me, just exercising their rights.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Herschel
    One thing that has been left out of the sales to CA discussion is that a ffl dealer from outside CA has to register with the CA Dept of Justice and then get Firearms Shipment Approval from the CA DOJ before shipping to a CA dealer. I have shipped one gun to CA under this system and getting the Firearms Shipment Approval went smoothly, nevertheless it is more red tape to go through if you ship to CA. It has nothing to do with "enjoying punishing those unfortunately living in CA....".

I will take exception with that in red. Several of those here who dont sell to Ca state right in their auctions that we Californians need to "take back our state", and until we do they will not sell to Cal. What they are saying is they will sell to Ca but only when they are ready to. I just ignore them and won't bid on "anything" they have for sale.
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Laredo Lefty, I don't doubt that some who refuse to sell to CA are making a political statement but I can see why some dealers would refuse to go through the extra paperwork and risk of violating some CA law. I am sure that many who don't sell to CA residents are just protecting themselves and don't want to risk violating some radical CA laws. I believe it is a felony offense to ship a rifle to CA without getting the proper CA DOJ approval.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I spent an hour browsing the CA DOJ website, trying to find out how a dealer in another state can register. Never could figure it out.

Maybe the CA dealers familiar with the process could post a link to the instructions; I can't expect the AG to make things easier, but you dealers certainly can.

Those of us in repressive states need our brothers in the free states to support us whenever they can.

Neal

Neal, this shoud cover just about any question
    http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/cflcoverview.php
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And there are many others who do sell to Cal and dont violate any laws in the process, so whats the problem? Iam convinced that those "dealers" who will not sell to Ca are not worried about breaking a law, they are just trying to make a point. I dont really care what they want to do or their motivation, there are plenty of guns to be had out there without their help.
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Laredo Lefty
    And there are many others who do sell to Cal and dont violate any laws in the process, so whats the problem? Iam convinced that those "dealers" who will not sell to Ca are not worried about breaking a law, they are just trying to make a point. I dont really care what they want to do or their motivation, there are plenty of guns to be had out there without their help.

Agree, Joe.. And like Neal noted.. It'd be nice to have their help, not scorn..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    We are jut getting back into ground that has been covered many times before. If the OP wants to sell firearms to a CA LEO then the process has already been explained.