In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Springfield 1903 Value??

blueswissblueswiss Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
edited June 2011 in Ask the Experts
This rifle was offered to me by a friend for $400 and I am curious as to whether the price is just 'ballpark' retail or a really good deal. I hope I can get the pictures to come up that he sent to me. In case I can't get the pics to come up, here is the basic info.

US SPRINGFIELD ARMORY 1903 872188

Well, I'm doing something wrong here and I can't seem to get pictures to come up. I'll post it and see if I can add pictures afterwards or possibly someone will be kind enough to tell my dumb * what I am doing incorrectly.
Thanx,
Tim Alexander

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Instructions for posting photos.

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294

Per your serial number the rifle was made in 1918. To be worth that kind of money it has to be in it's original U.S. military configuration, i.e. not a sporterized deer rifle.

EDIT #1, This is what it should look like, minus sling and ammo. If it is arsenal original and looks like this? More the likely a good deal.

M1903-Springfield-Rifle.jpg
  • Options
    blueswissblueswiss Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I have 10 pictures of the rifle that were given to me by my friend, but of course these won't always suffice as to the rifle being sanded or a layer of lacquer being added.
    I can send pictures of the rifle to anyone that might be able to help.
    But if $400 is just the retail price, just tell me and I can see that it won't be of any use.
    Thanx,
    Tim
  • Options
    CDMeadCDMead Member Posts: 2,141 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The rifle in question was probably made in late 1918. By this time, they were double heat treating the receivers, so they are considered "safe" to shoot.

Personally, I'd look at the bore condition and the date on the barrel. If the bore is nice and the rifle is otherwise unmodified, I'm in at $400. If the date on the barrel just below the front sight is in the 1918 range, that would be a bonus.

YMMV.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    I'll assume (and that's dangerous of and in itself) that you will have the rifle 'in hand' for a visual inspection prior to the purchase.

Am I right in that assumption?

Going on that premise, take some in-focus shots (digital photos) of various parts of the gun, and you can follow the link in the prior post as to how to get them onto this forum.

We can really start to earn our pay with good photos! Otherwise, it's the proverbial crap-shoot. Best, Joe

EDIT
    I just re-read both your posts. You've indicated both times that if the gun is at (or near) retail, you won't be interested.

Be veeery careful, if you are contemplating buying the rifle with the intention to flip it for profit. Again, this is going on the assumption that you are not a [licenced] firearms' dealer.

If, however, you want the rifle 'to have and to hold', then there's nothing wrong with paying a reasonable retail price for the item, and $400.00 is quite reasonable. Best again, Joe
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would like to see photos of the rifle. hsgarner@tds.net
  • Options
    Old hickoryOld hickory Member Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hard to find an O3A3 for $500 so that price sonds good bt Ill bet the barrel was replaced in the 40's based on what I've seen.....
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Old hickory
    Hard to find an O3A3 for $500 so that price sonds good bt Ill bet the barrel was replaced in the 40's based on what I've seen.....

I'll agree.

These things have taken a pretty good jump in price within the last couple years. $300-$400 for shooter quality, $500 for really nice shooter quality. Mint? more like $800-$1k.

Sporterized? depending on how it looks, $250-$450.