In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Wollensak scope

DEEREHARTDEEREHART Member Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
edited June 2011 in Ask the Experts
I picked up a nice clean Winchester mdl 75 target today with a Wollensak 4x scope. I cant seam to find much info on this scope,does anyone recall anything about these? It looks to be about the same vintage and patina as the rest of the gun.

Thanks for the info guys.
Hey Kimi I am still looking for an A5 let me know if you stumble across one.[:p]

Neal I cant seam to get the picture thing to work, I do think its my lack of computer skills. If you can email me I can send a couple of photos

Neal I need to get the kids to help me figure it out[:(]

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Great scope of bygone years . But today's optics are much better. Makes a nice Vintage Pair.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Perry SHooter has summed up the scope very well. Following notes are from from Nick Stroebel's book on "Old Gunsites & Rifle Scopes":

Stroebel describes the Wollensak as "A single small game and target scope of 4X was introduced in the 1930s by the Wollensak Optical Company of Rochester, N.Y. Intended only for rimfire and small centerfire rifles, the scope consisted of a black enameled brass tube in cast white metal mounts. The buyer had a choice of Post, Post and Crosswire or Crosswire reticle. The scope's production apparently ended with the onset of WWII."

The Field of View was 23 feet at 100 yards, with an eye relief of 2 inches, a tube length of 15.75 inches, and a weight of 17 ounces. An advertisement notes that it fits practically any rifle. No parallax. No Mis-adjustment. Micrometer adjustments for elevation and windage, and guaranteed to improve your shooting or your money back. It sold for $10.00 according to the 1935 ad. Stroebel shows it to have a value of between $175.00 to $275.00.
    What's next?
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got one that's had the paint removed, mounted on my .32-40 1885. It has the fine crosswire, and my old eyes wish it had the post!

newpics029.jpg
  • Options
    hedgehopper62hedgehopper62 Member Posts: 636 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 2 of these scopes,One has a box and instructions,both have the rings that have built in mic's.the extra one is missing a sroud and lens.would it be best to list them seperate or as a package.tks hedge[:D]
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    seperate.

While there may be a collector out there wanting both, your more likely market is folks like Trap55 who want a good period scope on an old rifle. Most of them will not want both, and the collector can bid on both auctions and you can help him out by combining shipping.
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with He Dog,

Be sure and remove the blocks from the gun and sell them with the scope.This may leave some holes that will need plug screws but the blocks will probably not be of any value to the buyer of the rifle.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Or, it could be a rare USGI M82 scope made by Wollensak late in WW2.

Or, we could keep guessing.

Or, Deerehart may decide to post a photo for us.

Neal

EDIT: See "The Complete Book of US Sniping" by Peter Senich, page 112.

EDIT: Have you tried the photo posting procedure:

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294

If that doesn't work, post your email address & I will contact you. The GB email contact system doesn't work for me. Did I read that there was a problem with that?

EDIT: Photos of Deerehart's scope:
    wollensak1.jpg
    wollensak2.jpg
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    Or, it could be a rare USGI M82 scope made by Wollensak late in WW2.

Or, we could keep guessing.

Or, Deerehart may decide to post a photo for us.

Neal

Now that's interesting! If you have some documented record to this, please share it, and I'll reference it in Nick's book for my own use.

Added: Thank you!
    What's next?