In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Smith and wesson red mottled grips

loptosloptos Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited June 2011 in Ask the Experts
Hello everyone!

I own SW top break .38 II. model revolver. it has red mottled grips but unfortunatelly they are both broken. Can you tell me who can repair it or where I can but the same grips (or repro)? I mean really red mottled, not black or so.

Thanks

Loptos

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I looked on the S&W board for you and found that there are no repro red mottled grips readily available. One shop turned out a few but said the authentic colors were too hard to reproduce.

You might could find some originals on the auction side, they are available but not cheap.
  • Options
    loptosloptos Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    I looked on the S&W board for you and found that there are no repro red mottled grips readily available. One shop turned out a few but said the authentic colors were too hard to reproduce.

You might could find some originals on the auction side, they are available but not cheap.

Thank you very much for your effort. I appreciate that.
  • Options
    32 Magnum32 Magnum Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Those are "FRANZITE" grips made by an aftermarket company. They seem to have been popular replacements back in the 1940s and '50s. Broken and warped seem to be a common condition in which they are found now-a-days.
    Do a Google search - you will find info and possibly pieces for sale.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,081 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get a regular grips for the gub abd get a rattle can of fleck paint [:D]. What was I looking at today that had nail polich that has the crackle effect. Slap that on and a few coats of poly and you're good to go.