In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

CCW and/or open carry law Question

eagle0800eagle0800 Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
edited June 2011 in Ask the Experts
Hello all,
My question concerns a friend of mine who was fishing in Custer State park, SD recently. From what he told me he was approached by a first ranger who checked by radio if he was allowed to conceal carry and was told that he was, within an hour two different rangers approached him and after being told he had a pistol they disarmed him (They took his revolver and emptied it, giving him the rounds, maintained position of the revolver as they questioned him. another question; Can they do that without probable cause?). My question is, where is the law stating we cannot carry if we have a valid permit in the state of South Dakota? I have checked the state law and the rules for Custer State park and have found nothing stating you cannot conceal carry, did i miss something? We just want to be within the laws for when we go out.
Thank you
Eagle0800

Justjump: i think that's all it was, just want to make sure.

P.S. it's kind of soon but Happy Independence Day all!!!!

Comments

• Options
    JustjumpJustjump Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been asked for my weapon 1 time(and I earned that one), Other than that I always hand over my CCW with my DL and Insurance at a traffic stop. They never even ask where the weapon is. Don't know about SD or the park. Possibly overzealous park cops???
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A lot of legislatures are in session and are passing laws left and right. It is highly unlikely any street cop (or forest cop for that matter) is up to date on the most current gun laws in their jurisdiction. It behooves one for one's own benefit to do the research yourself before venturing out to places like state/national/county/city parks. I know that even right here in Nevada a new statute concerning parks carry goes into effect on 1 July. Will the cops and rangers even know about it? I seriously doubt it unless they have a conscientious shift supervisor to brief them before they leave the building. It doesn't hurt to print out the latest and stick it in a waterproof baggy in your backpack. [:D]