In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What are his dad's guns' worth?

Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2012 in Ask the Experts
Friend on another board was wondering about his recently inherited guns.

"I'm just curious if any of these are especially sought after or valuable? They won't be sold as they were my Dad's guns.

Here's what he had:

JC Higgins Model 50 .30-06 (made in Belgium)

Winchester Model 74 .22 (bull barrel)

Remington Model 31 12gauge (well used)

Browning Auto 12 gauge with a 4 digit serial number (made in Belgium)
- Has light engraving
- also has a Cutts Compensator (which doesn't do it any good)

S&W K38 Masterpiece 6" barrel - unfired (Original box)"

Thanks[8D]

Comments

• Options
    chumchumchumchum Member Posts: 847 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The S&W is the only thing that catches my eye!!!!!
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Without some good quality pictures its hard to put a value on guns. Here's some general info.

JC Higgins was a trade name sold by Sears Roebuck Co. They had guns made by numerous companies, usually of the lesser grade without finishes and features found on the more deluxe models.

The Win 74 and the Remington 31 are both common guns, probably not collectable. Generally in used condition these fall in the $250- $300 range.

The Browning 12ga autos are very common. My guess is you have what's called the Auto 5 or A5. Depending on the exact model and condition, it could be worth anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars. The Cutts compensators usually detract up to 30% from a guns value.

The S&W revolver could be of value to a collector since its unfired and in the original box. Value probably in the area of $500.
  • Options
    Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks -- I think that's what he was wanting to know.

"Dad's guns" can have values that have nothing to do with make or model but some folks can only think of $$$.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Exactly.......... If I inherited guns from my dad, they would stay with me and be passed on to my kids.
  • Options
    JohnStimsonJohnStimson Member Posts: 448
    edited November -1
    The Sears J. C Higgins Model 50 was built by High Standard for Sears using a FN manufactured Mauser action. It has a chromed bore which was not common at that time. Weatherby rifles were at that time also made with a FN action and had a chromed bore.

This was not a lesser grade gun since at the time High Standard was not making or selling center fire rifles of their own. This is an excellent rifle that is often looked down on because of its name.
  • Options
    Manoa-FishermanManoa-Fisherman Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I concur with Mr. Stimson, the Sears rifle is a real sleeper. Even if it is not in good condition, you still can use the FN mauser action for the basis for a nice custom rifle with a new barrel and stock. If the rifle is still in good condition, you have a nice keeper and you should enjoy using it if possible. Back in the 1950s, Sears had quality goods.