In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

45 Long Colt loads

llama girlllama girl Member Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2012 in Ask the Experts
Hi,
I need to find reloading data for 225 grain slugs to load in my Judge.
I don't want fire breathers just 750 to 900 ft per second speeds. Also need data on 250 grain round nose. Same above speeds. Any help will be appreciated. Thanx

Comments

• Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,656 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    www.hodgdon.com has free load data for reloaders. I have used Red Dot and 250 grain lead in my .45 with good results. I want to get some of the Hornady FTX 225 grain bullets & some of the Leverevolution powder. I have shot the factory version of this load in my Vaquero and it was a nice mild load.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a Judge years ago. Had a lot of problems reloading for it as the rifling was set up to be a compromise, i.e. because it was also intended for 410 shot loads.

Best accuracy I got was with Remington 255 grain, .454 lead bullets, over 6 1/2 grains of AA 2. Never cronoed it but believe it was in the 750-850 fps velocity range, YMMV.

Be careful with the Judge it's a crummy novelty gun that isn't made for barn burner type .45 LC loads, that a Ruger Blackhawk would easily handle.
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    I would suggest the loads in the Lyman manuals. I've used well-under-max Lyman loads for the 250/255 grainers in .45 Colt for decades, using 231 or Unique. Velocities have been around 850 fps, enough to put serious torque on an aggressor if they had to be used for that, and they have been very accurate.

I think you are wise in pursuing moderate loads for a DA revolver. Some friends and I once tried a Super Blackhawk vs. an S&W M29 (fired double-action) for speed of fire AND hitting a torso-size target at 21 feet, with factory full-house .44 Mag ammo. The heavy recoil destroyed the double-action advantage: the Ruger was as fast for accurate repeat shots as the Smith was, because of the time required to get back on target.
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Invest in a reloading manual.[;)]
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    5 to 5.5 grains of Trail Boss.
  • Options
    bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jonk
    5 to 5.5 grains of Trail Boss.

+1 on the Trail Boss. Great case fill to help prevent accidents as compared to some powders where "a little dab will do ya"...........
  • Options
    llama girlllama girl Member Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanx for the useful info. I have 4 different reloading manuals. Speer, Hornaday,and Hodgdon 2010 and 2011. What I wanted was experienced feedback on what works for others. The veracity of snide comments has been discarded but was graded before before being shredded. As to the Judge being a fad or gimmicky it is a cute accessory for the way I dress. And it fits in my pocket.
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by llama girl
    Thanx for the useful info. I have 4 different reloading manuals. Speer, Hornaday,and Hodgdon 2010 and 2011. What I wanted was experienced feedback on what works for others. The veracity of snide comments has been discarded but was graded before before being shredded. As to the Judge being a fad or gimmicky it is a cute accessory for the way I dress. And it fits in my pocket.

Snide comments? You did not mention in your original post that you had already consulted FOUR reloading manuals, now did you????
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A lot of 45LC loads are smoky when using light bullets.
    In the '70s someone did an exhaustive test of all powders and found 9 grains of Herco behind a 200 lead grain SWC bullet gave most consistent results.
    Since then, a few new powders came out that may or may not be better for light bullets in light 45LC handloads.
  • Options
    IdahoRedneckIdahoRedneck Member Posts: 2,699
    edited November -1
    8.0 grains of unique has been a long time favorite[:)]

edit: Behind a 255 lead SWC.