In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Buffalo Head Anvil - Value?

rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2012 in Ask the Experts
I have this Buffalo Head Anvil, had it 50 years or so. Friend wants to buy it but I don't have any idea of its value. I don't want the hold him up but neither be too generous. All suggestions, info, comments appreciated.

For those interested, the various holes and different shape notches aid the blacksmith in forming metal. Iron was heated red hot and beaten into a notch to get a shape quicker than heating and beating numerous times on a flat anvil.

Back in pre-history I was in the Long Island Antique Arms Collector's Assn. Part of an exhibit of a 1700s Kentucky rifle maker"s shop. it may be old. In LIAGCA it anvil was thought to be necessary for metal fabricators back in the day and very important to the display.

Anvil.jpg

Comments

• Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    would that have been part of the Northeastern arms collectors assn. inc. , long Island , n.y. ?
  • Options
    goodgunpartsgoodgunparts Member Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From the look of it those are the only 2 tools that go with it?

Can not help on that, however I suggest you post to one of the blacksmith sites.

If it was just a good old horn anvil, I hear they are going for $2.50 a pound or more. More with tools for the hardy hole.

If it is a friend that will use it and not resell it you could pass it on for what you paid for it or maybe twice that price if you got a great deal. Or trade them for something you want. That way both of you win.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    old anvils bring a premium at farm sales...i suppose they are a collectible like other things or maybe all the new stuff is crap chinese
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anvil weighs about 80 pounds if my memory hasn't failed. The two tools I made for specific jobs. I bought it from my company's surplus stuff for $5 back in the '60s. The LIAGCA was organized about 1956 and was still active in '81 when I retired and moved back to OK. I was a charter member.
  • Options
    merrbarbmerrbarb Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Correct Forgemonkey. It is a Swage Block or a Swage Anvil. It also appears to be in extremely good condition. It can be used standing up (as your picture shows) or lying flat. There are different swage blocks. Some for spoon making with various sized cups, etc. So thereby it is, in blacksmith terms, called a bottom-tool. It is used for heading, bending, shaping, and forming.

I would pay $150 for this one IF it fit my blacksmithing needs.

Merrill
  • Options
    merrbarbmerrbarb Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Correct Forgemonkey. It is a Swage Block or a Swage Anvil. It also appears to be in extremely good condition. It can be used standing up (as your picture shows) or lying flat. There are different swage blocks. Some for spoon making with various sized cups, etc. So thereby it is, in blacksmith terms, called a bottom-tool. It is used for heading, bending, shaping, and forming.

I would pay $150 for this one IF it fit my blacksmithing needs.

Merrill
  • Options
    goodgunpartsgoodgunparts Member Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spasmcreek
    old anvils bring a premium at farm sales...i suppose they are a collectible like other things or maybe all the new stuff is crap chinese

Both.

Most are used and a good anvil is hard to find today. A google search showed me 2. The 77 pound anvil was $543 and the other that had no weight was $1372.

Makes those $3 per pound used anvils a bargain.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Folks for your time, your interest and your info. This forum is populated with serious and knowledgeable folks. I had asked for much the same info on another forum and all I got was pointless gag responses.

Bravo Gun Broker!