In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

remington 722 257 Roberts

briguybriguy Member Posts: 459 ✭✭✭
edited March 2012 in Ask the Experts
have a chance too buy a remington 722 in 257 roberts.tjis gun has the old stith mount and b&l 4x scope.this is the setup where all the adj is in the mount.this isnt the pretty remington its the plain stock .gun is in 90%+,feew hunting nicks but blueing is in great shape.what is this gun worth ?and what do you think of the caliber?thanks
keep on bangin boys ,don

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I just bought a Remington 722 in a 257 Roberts. I have never had anything to do with a Remington 722 or a 257 Roberts.
    I took this rifle out to shoot it and when I loaded it the first 2 bullets went in the magazine real good. When I put the 3rd bullet in it wanted to go in crooked. And there is no way I can get a 4th in.
    Does anyone know the magazine capacity of theses rifles? Should I be having trouble with the 3rd round going in the magazine?
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check the mag spring. Mine sometimes tilts.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    tilt was the word I was looking for when I said the 3rd goes in crooked. The first 2 go in great and the 3rd wants to tilt. The back of the bullet wants to tils down.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Duck hunter is on the right track .I would take the barreled action out of the stock "only two screws " and look at the condition of the Magazine spring and the steel insert in the stock . Someone may have taken the rifle apart and not gotten all the barts in the cartridge holding system back together correctly .May be a time to take to someone that knows how these parts fit. a Remington model 700 is the same basic design.
    edit sorry I forgot about third screw[:I]
  • Options
    47studebaker47studebaker Member Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "3" screws to take the action out, You can push all you want but you won't get 4 rounds into the well. 3 in the well and the 4th in the chamber.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't have a 722 Roberts. But I do have a couple in .300 Savage and a .244 that will take 4 in the magazine (+ 1 in the chamber). The .222 and .222 magnum will take 1 more.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IIRC the spring fits into the follower, I think the pic's shows the proper direction.
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=4336
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And I predict you are going to love the .257 Bob. The rifle I always pick up first.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    briguy,

I'm pretty familiar with both the Remington 722 and the .257 Roberts.

A note before you start. Because of the shortness of this action in comparison to the round (Remington always does things wrong somehow), long rounds won't fit in your magazine. Make sure your cartridges are not longer than 2.80". Longer than 2.80" and the cartridges will catch as they go down lower in the magazine. The first one will fit because it's where the magazine opens up a bit. The second may fit and the third and fourth definitely WON'T fit.

That said, take the action out of the stock and make sure there are no blockages in the magazine well. Also, make sure the magazine spring is strong and compresses/decompresses normally. Then make sure it's seated in the slot for it at the bottom of the magazine. And, of course it's slid into the follower all the way.

Since your already on a roll with this rifle you might determine which twist it is. My dad bought a 1950 plain jane with the 24" barrel that has a 1-12" twist. I bought a 1953 year deluxe with the 20" barrel and it had a 1-10" twist. If you don't know how to get the twist one of us can explain that to you.