In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rossi 92 .357

do_wa_diddydo_wa_diddy Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
edited March 2012 in Ask the Experts
I recently picked up a Rossi 92 in stainless. What I wanted to know is I have tried to find out how old my model is. I tried the website but my serial number doesn't show any information. I tried calling but was on hold for a half hr. and finally hung up. seems its always busy or on hold.
Anyway the letter code on the serial number is SK Its a 20" barrel and the front site is mounted on the front barrel band. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I was told that some winchester 92 parts are interchangeable is this true or another misnomer. I want to change out the lever to the large loop as my fingers are a little cramped in the original standard loop.

Comments

• Options
    BigLoop22BigLoop22 Member Posts: 620 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    do_wa_diddy,

Good luck with finding out when your rifle was manufactured. Rossi/ Braztech/ Taurus, Legacy Sports International, EMF, Interarms, Navy Arms, and, maybe, another couple of companies imported the Model 92. I feel that they all have records, but my experience is that, unless it is currently under warranty, by an existing importer, then you may not get an answer to your question.

Rossi started producing the 92 back around 1975. Interarms was the importer, from then, until they went out of business in the 1990s (I think). Older, Interarms-imported 92s had the front sight built into the front barrel band. Navy Arms stopped importation a few years ago. Only Navy Arms 92s came from the factory with genuine walnut stocks.Older Rossis had NO bolttop safety. To narrow down when your gun was produced, tell us who the importer is, and which features the gun has. Photographs would really help, too.

As far as interchangeability of parts goes, there is some. As an example, here is my Browning B92, wearing a Rossi 92 lever:

23795Shawn_s_B92_Rossi_Lever.JPG

23795Shawn_s_B92_Rossi_Lever_Close.JPG

One of the best people to ask about parts swapping is Steve Young:

www.stevesgunz.com

Steve has been working on Rossi 92s for a long time. He also has been a consultant to both EMF & Legacy Sports International.
  • Options
    do_wa_diddydo_wa_diddy Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is an interarms, No safety, Genuine (tight grain) walnut stock fitted quite nicely almost as good as my winchester 94. Even the butt plate isn't larger than the stock. I have notice this on other newer guns. But my front site is not mounted in a dovetail in the barrel it is part of the front barrel band with a pinned blade sight. The seller told me he was the original owner but never really shot it. It is in amazingly good condition. only 2 scuffs on the stainless & no damage to the stock the action is smoother than my winchester. It does have the yellow plastic plunger. Which I have a metal one on order.
  • Options
    BigLoop22BigLoop22 Member Posts: 620 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    do_wa_diddy,

Samuel Cummins, the founder of Interarms, died in 1998. Braztech was created in 1997, and took over importation and distribution of Rossi firearms from Interarms, at that time.If we knew when the stainless steel carbines were put into production, then we could further narrow the timeframe for which you gun could have been built. So far, it looks like your 92 was made in, or before, 1997. Despite what I said earlier, I would continue to try to get Rossi/ Braztech/ Taurus to help you with a date of manufacture. Good luck![;)]

EDIT:

Neal is correct about M&M Gunsmithing. Since there are two, unrelated M&Ms, I will give you the URL for the one that Neal mentioned:

http://www.mmgunsmithing.com/

They still carry quite a bit of inventory for Rossi guns.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Big Loop's advice is on the mark.

But, you don't need to know how old your rifle is. The only thing you need to know is, was it imported by Braztech, or was it NOT imported by Braztech. And, the way you determine that is to read the importer marking: if it says IMPORTED BY BRAZTECH stamped on your rifle, then it was imported by Braztech; anything else, &, well, it was imported by someone else.

If it IS a BRAZTECH gun, you should continue to phone Braztech & hope to eventually get the same indifferent service that Taurus owners have grown used to.

If it is NOT a BRAZTECH gun, Braztech has no information about it, & will provide you with neither parts nor service. But, you may be able to get the parts you need if you contact M & M Gunsmithing in Alexandria, VA; they have many parts & provide service for pre-Braztech Rossi's.

Neal