In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W 27-3 DOM ?

redman.com1redman.com1 Member Posts: 718 ✭✭
edited March 2012 in Ask the Experts
have a s&w model 27-3 serial # AUS 6799, was wondering when it was made? how do you tell if its pinned and recessed? thanks

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1987, if I'm reading the S & W book correctly. If that's the correct date it shouldn't be P & R, S & W stopped that in the early 80's.
  • Options
    redman.com1redman.com1 Member Posts: 718 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for the response.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Without looking in the 3rd Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson I'm pretty sure your -3 model 27 isn't pinned or recessed. Pinned and recessed means that there is pin at the rear of the barrel, in front of the frocing cone, in the top part of the frame where the barrel screws into the frame. Recessed means the rear of the cylinder is counter bored, so to speak, for the cartridge rims to fit into each chamber.
    I hope this crude explaination helps.
    W.D.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pinned barrel. The pin is at the top front of the frame:

swm10nickel6.jpg

Date not real clear in the SCSW-3, since 3 letter pre-fixes were used out of sequence. But, the main reason for the change to 27-3 was elimination of P & R.

Neal