In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1897 Trench Gun?

jcbrown23602jcbrown23602 Member Posts: 348 ✭✭✭
edited March 2012 in Ask the Experts
Does this look like a real trench gun or just a cut down 1897? Has a 19" barrel. Don't have it in my hands right now so I can't look up marks but could in a day or two. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!!

P1010001.jpg
P1010002.jpg
P1010003.jpg
P1010004.jpg
P1010005.jpg
P1010006.jpg
P1010007.jpg
P1010008.jpg
P1010009.jpg
P1010012.jpg
P1010013.jpg

Comments

• Options
    martinicadetmartinicadet Member Posts: 273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A trench gun has a vented handguard. If the barrel hasn't been cut it's a riot gun. Look to see what the choke says, anything other than cyl is a cut down.
  • Options
    JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Trenchguns and riot guns have 20" barrels... Trench barrels will have 3 grooves in the bottom of the barrel to facillitate the attachment of the handguard/ bayonet lug.. Trenchgun stock should have a cartouche... If your barrelis 19" and doesn't have a front sight, it has been cut down...
    JIM.........
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The blue book of gun values has some info in the Trench/Riot Shotguns section. You can search here too as some really nice pic's and info have been posted.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    I see no "US" mark. I see no stock cartouche. I see no "flaming bomb." I see no trench or riot shotgun....but it is what you think it is...a cut down Winnie97.
  • Options
    goodgunpartsgoodgunparts Member Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got to ask. Someplace in the back of my mind the Trench Guns were solid fraims. Do I remember correctly?
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by goodgunparts
    Got to ask. Someplace in the back of my mind the Trench Guns were solid fraims. Do I remember correctly?

Both types were produced (and martially marked) with the heat shield/bayonet lug.

Firearm pictured shows no evidence of having been a military owned firearm.

Joe
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by goodgunparts

The WW I Trench Guns were Solid frames, and were marked "1897" on the slide bar. They will not have a cartouche on the butt stock, and most of them were not ordnance marked.

The WW II Trench Guns were Take Down frames, and they did not have any markings on the slide bar. The model designation "97" was on the barrel. The early production guns will have the "WB" cartouche and a 6-row heat shield. The later production guns will have the "GHD" cartouche and either a 6-row or a 4-row heat shield.

The gun in question appears to be a standard Filed grade gun that has been cut-down.