In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Blueing/refinishing question

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in Ask the Experts
I have aquired an older Crossman 140 .22 cal airgun for nothing. She ain't no cherry but not to bad either. The blueing has a few rust spots on it but no pitting but could look better. Any cheap way to make it look a little better? The wood could also stand a little work, looks as if there is some sort of finish over the stain but not much. Any suggestions as to removing for restaining? Since I don't have any $$ into the purchase I can afford a few bucks to make it look a little better. Thanks.

Todd

Comments

• Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If me, I'd sand the metal and spray paint with quality paint. Wood, I'd sand and re-stain. Simce dollars are tight, this is about as cheap as your going to get. Don't forget to oil the action too !

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A long time ago I hand rebuilt several 140's. They would shoot threw on side of a made in USA galvinized garbage can. I still have a 130 .22 pistol. Prep the wood and rub in LinSpeed. Steel wool and oil the metel. Degrease and cold blue of choice. If it were mine I'd just shoot it as is. The part that wears out first is the little double flanged O-ring in the valve cap next is the pump cup.
  • Options
    edgecamedgecam Member Posts: 3,280
    edited November -1
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=280231517

I have had good luck using kits like this to re blue my truck guns
  • Options
    wagwag Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brownells Oxpho blue works well follow the directions on the bottle , available from Brownells Inc on line. As far as the stock they were mostly a light to white wood stained and sprayed laquer. Usually sanding off the finish will also take off the stain or enough of it you will probably have to restain.Lots of stains available at a good hardware store try to match with the finish type ie. oil etc. The new tru-oil from casey is easy to use and drys well and is a hard finish. Good luck WAG