In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Sistema 1911

chappsynychappsyny Member Posts: 3,381 ✭✭
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
Hello everyone. I was thinking about getting a 1911. I used to have one but sold it. Needless to say I miss it. Anyway, I was wondering what everyone thought of the Colt Sistema's? How are they compared to a modern springfield or Colt 1911? Are they worth the money (about $400)? Thanks in advance for the advice.

New Hampshire, USA - "Live Free or Die!!!"<P><br>

Comments

• Options
    gurngurn Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like mine. Shop around though, $400 seems high. Coditions are all over the place. They are as "tight" as most GI type weapons. I got an original finish one; that way you know what kind of beatings it took. The sights are the old little ones. It depends on what you want to do with it. I just wanted one that would consistently put rounds down range and generally accurate. If you want a tight target set-up, then buy a newer Colt or SA and bring $. I wouldn't build my Sistema up, I like it for what it is.
  • Options
    punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    Good gun, built on Colt machinery and fully interchangeable with 1911. Not like the BM. $400 does seem a bit on the high side though.

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
  • Options
    DarrellDarrell Member Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some of the 1927's are higher priced because of condition or which branch of service they came from. Navy or Air Force marked often bring some extra. If you want to see something interesting WEIGH a 1927 against a vintage colt of that eara. 1927 will run about an ounce heavier. Also use a jewelers loupe and look at underside of the slide and frame rails etc. You won't find much for tooling marks. Incredible craftsmanship.
    They first came into the country in the late 60's and have been imported off and of ever since.
  • Options
    interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    Y'all are kinda tight with the Benji's. Fair blue book value has got em' at $400 plus.[:D]

"If your gonna be stupid, go find a democrat."
  • Options
    rballirballi Member Posts: 770 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Blue book is around $400, but there are a couple of distributors that were offering them for around $300. I got lucky and found a used one for $200. They are solid old guns, but if you are looking to spend $400, I would go with a newer Colt or Springfield with less miles on it.
  • Options
    XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    I agree that $400 seems a bit high.

Early last year, arsenal refurbished Modelo '27s (a basic military-style M1911A1) were selling in from $250 to 300....and were one helluva bargain at that price. They were very nicely done. Almost like new, in & out.

The first 10,000 Modelo 1927 (M1911A1) pistols were actually made in Hartford and are properly known as "Argentine Contract Model 1927" pistols. After that they were made by the Argentine Arsenal "DGFM-FMAP" on Colt machinery.

The fit, finish, and workmanship of the Argentine-made guns was every bit as good as the Commercial M1911A1s at that time.

If this is one of the arsenal refurbished guns, while the asking price is a bit on the high side, you're not getting killed if you buy it. It's probably every bit as good as a used Colt at that price.
  • Options
    19111911 Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i agree with rballi if your going to spend that kind of money get something better.
  • Options
    XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    You can pick up an arsenal refurbished Modelo 1927 here for $300:

http://www.cruffler.com/JLD.html