In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

commando mk 3 thompson copy

riverrattriverratt Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone have any info or know anything about this copy of the 1927 thompson? Is it like the auto ordnance model? Is it well made? Were there any problems with it? Thanks for any help you can give.

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    I wondered how long it would take for you to come up with the correct name of the manufacturer. The later name for this firm was Volunteer Enterprises. These carbines were fairly popular in the early 1970's, mostly because A.O. had not yet introduced its new 1927 Carbine. These Commando's look sort of like a Thompson- the butt stock, verticle forearm, and finned barrels are near identical. Unfortunitly the simularities end there. Commando cut just about every corner they could to cut production costs- the worst example was the cast alloy grip frame, although even this was cheapend later with a switch to a plastic frame. We used to shoot one of these years ago and it seemed to work fairly well, but I just never really cared for this gun. I think the are worth around $400 in decent condition. I'd recommend the A.O.- it is a much better constructed gun- if you feel the need for a Thompson type rifle. These are only my opinions and others may feel differently.

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    bigcountry_75214bigcountry_75214 Member Posts: 494
    edited November -1
    100%-$425 98%-$365 95%-315 90%-280 80%-225 70%-195 60%-160. Made from 1969-1976. Volunteer Enterprises became Commando Arms in 1978.
  • Options
    azgunnut2@yahoo.comazgunnut2@yahoo.com Member Posts: 305 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well...back along time ago (late 70's I think), while down in Tennessee I visited the 'factory' that built these , it was in a big pole barn looking building out on the chapman hiway (I think)??? anyhow , yes they made a 'cheaper' copy of the Thompson , not near the gun , but not near the prices...I have heard all sortsd of storys
    about these things , good & bad...even heard that the alphabet police (ATF) was down on these????Who knows ......

Join / Support the NRA
    Guns are my friends !!!
  • Options
    riverrattriverratt Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. I have been thinking about buying a thompson by auto ordnance but I found a commando on this site for half of what a thompson sells for. After reading the comments on the commando I think I'll spend the money and buy the auto ordnance. Again, thanks for the help. Tom.