In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hey..new to gunbroker..need a rundown on buying...

FHPtrooperFHPtrooper Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
I was curious if anyone could give me insight on how i should prepare to bid/buy a gun on here..Cause i have absolutely NO idea other than i have to go to an FFL dealer..thx

Comments

• Options
    nelchrisnelchris Member Posts: 557 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would look hard at the seller.Talk on phone if possable
    Then just jump in and start bidding. I start about 75-100 less then I will pay so I can bid in the end or just bid as much as you can spend first then forget about and if you win great

Welcome and have fun
  • Options
    goldslammergoldslammer Member Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can click on "how to bid" there's a way to find an FFL dealer in your area. I would contact the dealer first to make sure he's still doing business and negotiate a transfer fee.
  • Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When you find an item you like, read ALL of the print on the page carefully. It will describe the item, the cost for shipping, inspection/return period if any, etc. Once you bid on the item, if you are the high bid and win the item, you are required to go through with the purchase. Usually you will have to forward a certified check or money order, credit card number, use Pay Pal, etc. Some sellers will take a personal check and hold it until it clears. If you do not have an FFL or C&RL as appropriate, the item will have to be shipped to an FFL holder who will receive it for you and execute the paperwork (for which he will charge you an additional fee); unless the item is considered an antique (made prior to 1898) and is not subject to the requirements of the Gun Control Act of 1968. There is additional information posted on the auction website under "For Buyers". You will have to register on the site before bidding. Click on, and read, all of the information headings on the auction website, and visit some of the in-progress auction item sites, and you should develop a pretty good idea of what is going on.
  • Options
    FHPtrooperFHPtrooper Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Alright thanks for all your help ! :D[8D]
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    every one else has given you good advice , the only thing I would add is to becarefull with your payment method, money orders from banks can have a stop payment put on them , postal money orders can not, so never use a money order from the post office, if your payment is of any size, then spend the little bit more it costs to send it with Delivery Confirmation on it , that way there is never any doubt that they ( the seller ) received it.
    I personally like to use Priority mail, cost is around $4 to mail a letter with delivery comfirmation and it gets there fast ,, if I pay fast I expect to get fast turn around on their end also , Priority envelopes that hold a regular white envlope and the priority mail boxes are free from the post office just ask for them.
    don't be afraid to ask question, if you're a serious bidder the seller won't mind answering them .. good luck and have fun
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,969 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have great advice above, but especially, ask questions. We see complaints frequently from people who did not feel they got what they thought they were going to get, so ask, ask, ask. It is helpful to be familiar with what you are buying, ie what is original condition so you recognize if after market changes like recoil pads have been added and which affect value. If you don't know the material you are bidding on cold, have a good reference or two by your computer. Good luck, and Welcome aboard!
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    You've gotten Good information here on Ask the Experts...But this topic actually belongs on the General Discussion Forums......

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff