In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How good are AR180's?

moparmopar Member Posts: 338 ✭✭
edited July 2005 in Ask the Experts
I've always liked the look of these rifles but never had chance to shoot one.How good are they with regards to function,accuracy and overall reliablity.

Saw a newer model last week and been in lust ever since.
Would it be a good choice to buy one?

ANY input good or bad is welcomed 'cuz I value what you folks say.

Thanks Ya'll
Doug

Comments

• Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    I really like the AR180 design. I have 3 of the Older model AR180's and a hybrid AR180B. I put a older model AR180 Upper on the AR180B Lower so I could use the AR15 mags in the rifle. They all shoot very well and I have not had any problems with any of the rifles. The scope system is very slick. I would say if you have the money for the Original AR180 buy one. The HOWA AR180 and the Costa Mesa are the 2 better of the original AR180 the Sterling model is not as good quality wise but still a very good rifle. I have heard the AR180B's had some issues when they 1st came out a few years ago but since them have a very good track record. My 2 cents [8D]

Greg
    Former Marine
    2nd A N G L I C O
  • Options
    moparmopar Member Posts: 338 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey gap1916,

Thanks for the info!

There's an AR180B listed here on GB.The # is 34821017.And it's in Texas,not too far from me.

It looks nice but can't really tell if it's the Sterling model or a Costa Mesa model.Think I'll email the seller to find out.

If you get a moment,could you check it out and see what you think about it?

Okay now's here's kinda of a dumb ? but I gotta ask.It will take good quality metal AR/M16 mags right?

Gracias
    Doug
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    I have the Howa model and it's better than the AR-15 due to the gas and recoil system. Had the Army seen it prior to tying up so much money in the 15, they would have opted for it.

It's pretty simple (I can do it) to convert AR-15 mags to AR-18, tape (for marking) and a Dremel are all that's needed.

wings2.gif
    Stolen from, and with thanks, to Kiwibird
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking
    I have the Howa model and it's better than the AR-15 due to the gas and recoil system. Had the Army seen it prior to tying up so much money in the 15, they would have opted for it.

No way, would the US Army or any other Army for that matter, have adopted the AR18/180. The hinge on the folding stock is a POS. It wouldn't have listed a week in the field. First and foremost a military rifle has to be designed to be "Soldier Proof". Who ever the guys were, who designed the folding stock and Mickey Mouse hinge for the AR18/180, didn't have a clue.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    The AR180B is the new model that Armalite started building a few years back and it does take the AR15 mags. It is very close to the original AR180. The B model has a fixed stock and no flash supressor.

rufe-snow: I believe that the US military would have adopted the AR18/180 with modifications such as a fixed stock and or a stronger folding stock. The M-16 went through many modifications and the AR18 would have done the same.

My 2 cents [8D]

Greg
    Former Marine
    2nd A N G L I C O
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking

No way, would the US Army or any other Army for that matter, have adopted the AR18/180. The hinge on the folding stock is a POS. It wouldn't have listed a week in the field. First and foremost a military rifle has to be designed to be "Soldier Proof". Who ever the guys were, who designed the folding stock and Mickey Mouse hinge for the AR18/180, didn't have a clue.

Rufe,
    Stick to cut and paste.
    The hinge needs only to be modified to become indestructable. How many modifications has the M16 gone through? The gas system on the 18 is the best to date and uses the same tappet system the AK, SKS, and other reliable weapons use.
    BTW, soldiers are not as stupid as you seem to imply. I can assemble the 18 with my eyes closed.

wings2.gif
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:
    "The hinge needs only to be modified to become indestructable."

I've told you before, about your phantasies. Remember the "PERFECT 98/40". The hinge/stock on the AR 18/180 series of weapons are so screwed up,( I owned a Costa Mesa AR 180 for over 20 years), the only thing that would make them acceptable to any military origanization would be to have them reworked to accept a Fal type folder.

As far as you assembling the 180 with your eyes closed. Thats perfectly understandable. As you have your head up your butt most of the time, you have plenty of practice doing things by touch.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    For someone named Dick King, you sure throw insults to cover lack of hands on experience.[:0]

BTW, the TWO 98/40's I have ARE perfect. You just can't have one.[}:)]

If you really had had a 180, you would understand how they worked and how easy reworking would be on the hinge assembly. You would also know they are functionally superior to the 15.
    End of Story

wings2.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    One other point. You are incorrect that no one ever adopted the 18. Swaziland (sp?) did and also the Japanese SDF also used them. If you read Duncan Long's AR-15 SOURCEBOOK, even he mentioned that the 18 showed promise but the Army was already commited to working the bugs out of the 15. That is, if you are really interested (and can) learn anything new.

wings2.gif