In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mose Popular Rifle Caliber

rocktonrockton Member Posts: 551 ✭✭✭
edited July 2005 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone have the facts and figures on the most popular rifle caliber in the US.

Thanks

Rockton

Comments

• Options
    codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    Depends on the discipline. If I was to say whitetail deer hunting, I would suggest that the 30-30 has killed more deer than bovine tuberculosis. Followed by 30-06.

If you were to say hunting in general, I would suggest-probably without argument-that the .22 LR has killed more animals than any cal or even all other calibers combined.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my gun.
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    22lr, 30-30, 30-06 in that order as far as cartridge sales.

• Options
    bperdue21bperdue21 Member Posts: 1,457 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i just find it hard to believe people still buy 30-30's. i definitely figured it would be 30-06. when talking about a hunting caliber, i wouldn't believe many lawful sportsmen would use the 22lr for deer hunting. it probably is the most popular caliber, but not the most poular hunting caliber.

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.
  • Options
    johalljohall Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    still use my 30-30 dont use it for normal deer hunting but bring it with for walking trees havn't found a better round for penetrating brush with out much deflecting
  • Options
    D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    I'd have to go with those that said 22lr and 30-30win.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,274 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .22LR would probably be the most long lived at the top of the list. The rest changes with the times and the influx of military surplus. I'm sure after WW wars I and II, the 30-06 was on top, .308,.223, and 7.62x39 after that.

7_2_120.gif
    "Aim small, Miss small"
  • Options
    hawaiipighunterhawaiipighunter Member Posts: 438 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it was a few years back that hunting magazine ran an article on this subject.

we cant use military calibers, its just not fair, so the 223 and 7.62x39 got dropped, so they used amunition sales for center fire rifles.

i cant remeber the last 5 but the 7mm rem mag was there and so was the 2506. it was a surprise to me that the 243 beat the 308. i think it was stated that the 3030 may not get as much use as the 3006 but because so many 3030s exist, its almost a ritual to buy a box of ammo for it at the season start just to have in case you need to break it out. if every 3030 owner did just that, the numbers would be huge.

kyle
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,274 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    30-06 and .308 are military calibers.

7_2_120.gif
    "Aim small, Miss small"
  • Options
    RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bperdue21
    i just find it hard to believe people still buy 30-30's. i definitely figured it would be 30-06. when talking about a hunting caliber, i wouldn't believe many lawful sportsmen would use the 22lr for deer hunting. it probably is the most popular caliber, but not the most poular hunting caliber.

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

If the answer to your question--the most popular rifle caliber in the U.S.--is based on ammo sales and NOT on rifle sales, this could be because there are SO MANY .30-30's in existence and are still in use. Probably hard to find very many households with any sort of hunting heritage that doesn't have a Marlin 336 or Winchester 94 in that caliber hiding in a closet or under a bed. Many have been handed down father to son, grandson, what-have-you...and with the skyrocketing cost of NEW and even USED firearms, many folks use what they've got--dad's or granddad's old thirty-thirty. Plus, there's a "mystique" about that old lever action that just plain feels good to many riflemen.

Hmmmm, maybe I'll dust mine (pre-64 Model 94) off for when my buddy takes me to West Texas next week--bet I could hit a hog or a coyote with it just fine. At least, I'd feel more like a throw-back to the days of the old west while trying. [;)]
  • Options
    Hang-Fire1Hang-Fire1 Member Posts: 137 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Love my pre-64 .30-30 Model 94. I shot it for a couple of hours the other day and had a lot of fun![8D]

Liberty Bells Life Member
    http://www.libertybelles.org
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    I agree with Ramtinxxl very strongly about the 30-30 heritage thing, with the possible exeption of the MANY families whom were fortunate/smart enough to start the tradition with an old Savage 99, (chambered in .300 Savage), and many of these were chambered in 30-30, as well.