In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Nikon, Leupold or Something Else?

olsenjbolsenjb Member Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
edited July 2005 in Ask the Experts
I'm looking to put a scope on my new 22-250. I would like to spend around $250 or so and was curious what your thoughts are? I'm leaning towards a Leupold VX-I 4-12x40 or possibly the Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40mm A/O (but I'm not too sure how much I want an A/O). I will mainly be using it to hunt varmints (coyotes, foxes, jack rabbits, etc.) Or, I'm open to other suggestions as well. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Something else would be the Burris Fullfield 11 4.5 X 14.
    It is one of the finest scopes out there for the price of about $300.00 shipped
    to you, along with a no BS warrenty.
    AO is a very handy extra to have, and when you figure it out it can be used as a sort of rangefinder.

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.
  • Options
    olsenjbolsenjb Member Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hesitate on A/O because it doesn't seem like an A/O scope lends itself too nicely to running shots on small varmints. I can't imagine trying to focus your scope while a varmint is running away...Am I mistaken?
  • Options
    tmault5tmault5 Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    also take a look at the buschnell elite scopes very clear and priced in the same range. its worth a look
  • Options
    Hang-Fire1Hang-Fire1 Member Posts: 137 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Simons for plinking but if you are serious go with Leupold. (Lifetime warranty and the best optics for the money)

Liberty Bells Life Member
    http://www.libertybelles.org
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    I just shot a 10 shot 3/4" 200 yard group out of my CZ 527 in 223(ok there was one flyer which brought the group to 2" but I called it). It wears a 4.5-14 Nikon BM. I could see the bullet holes in the paper. They are a great scope.

• Options
    rollnblockrollnblock Member Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yes nikon has good clear optics. so clear in fact that a 264 magnum i own blew out two sets of cross hairs. need less to say the third one nikon sent me got sold. i put a burris on that gun and have had no problems. i now have burris on every rifle i own.
  • Options
    muleridermulerider Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have upper grade Nikons on a 7 wmag, 2 300 wmags, and a 30.06. They have performed flawlessly under hunting conditions (temps from 22 below F, to 100 above, rain, snow, trips on 4-wheeler, and rolling down a mountain in a scabbard on a horse....no change in zero.) They are in S & K one piece rings, and just work. Have Leupold on 30.06, and Burris on 44 mag, also, perfect performance. The Zeiss haven't been afield yet...

Good luck in your choice, most top brands are a good offering....

Don't pick on my mule, and we'll get along just fine!
  • Options
    MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go for the Burris. It is the best buy for the money. Nikon as of late is having issues with the speed of their warranty work (so I hear). I'm not really impressed with Leupolds optics, and their eye relief sucks. I use to put Nikon on all of my personal stuff, but now I use Burris only. Check out their scope combos that come with either Binoculars or a spotting scope.

"My faith, my country and my family will guide me; nothing more, nothing less" -Gen. Tommy Franks
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    Burris is the scope for the time being, the best out their for the money, Stay Away from NIKON they would Not repair a scope for me one time, Their Warrenty is not worth the paper it's printed on.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by olsenjb
    I hesitate on A/O because it doesn't seem like an A/O scope lends itself too nicely to running shots on small varmints. I can't imagine trying to focus your scope while a varmint is running away...Am I mistaken?
    Shooting and adjusting while on the run wasn't quite what I had in mind when I said that AO is handy to have[:)]
    Set it on a happy medium and use it like a regular scope when things are running.

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.
  • Options
    snickerssnickers Member Posts: 359 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The A/O should not be a problem. The Nikon will probably stand up on a 22-250 but it is not on the level with the Leupold or Burris.

MONEY TALKS mine says good-bye