In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1917 Enfield Rifle 303 0r 30-06?

pogybatepogybate Member Posts: 3,150
edited July 2005 in Ask the Experts
Were 1917 British Enfield Rifles made in Britain or the US. Are they 303 or 30-06? What are the different ID marks. Mine says BSA co. Slt LE.

SEMPER FI

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 1917 Enfields were made for the U.S. military. They are in 30-06 caliber. Made in the U.S.

The 1914 Pattern Enfields were made for the British in the U.S. by Winchester & Remington. They are chambered for 303 British military cartridge.

If you are sure that your rifle is a Model 1917? It should be chambered for 30-06. Many Model 1917's were sent to England, for use by their military in the early years of W W II. If it's marked "BSA" it was probably reworked/refurbished by them, at sometime during the war.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Rufe, yes it does have G.R. B.S.A. stamped on it.

SEMPER FI
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pogybate
    Thanks Rufe, yes it does have G.R. B.S.A. stamped on it.

SEMPER FI

Sorry didn't mean to confuse you. IF? your rifle has a "Crown" over "G.R." over "B.S.A." over "1917" it's not a Model 1917 made in the U.S.A. It's a Short Magazine Lee Enfield made by BSA in England. It's chambered for the 303 British Military Cartridge. It's action/receiver is similar to this picture that I got off the net.

eng-6054.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes sir, thats it, except the one I got has wood right to the end of the muzzle.

SEMPER FI
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pogybate
    Yes sir, thats it, except the one I got has wood right to the end of the muzzle.

SEMPER FI

Your rifle is known as the SMLE Mark III*, it was made in great quantity by BSA.

The one in the picture was made during and after the Second World War, it's a Number 5 Mark 1, Jungle Carbine.

luger_4.jpg