In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Browning Auto 22 Rifle.

breechmanbreechman Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
edited July 2005 in Ask the Experts
I have a Browning .22 Auto Rifle made in Belgium. In the receiver it is completely plain with no engravings at all...not even a line..just blank. Is this normal as I have seen all the same guns with at least a small engravement....Thank you.

Breech

Comments

• Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    All of them I've ever seen have been engraved.Is it possible that it may have been re-blued at one time and the engraving was polished away?

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bad news,......[:(]

Breech
  • Options
    haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    Are you sure it isn't a copy?? What is the exact lettering on the rifle?? I have a Norinco that is almost a perfect copy.
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by haroldchrismeyer
    Are you sure it isn't a copy?? What is the exact lettering on the rifle?? I have a Norinco that is almost a perfect copy.

I've only seen the Norinco's that are engraved, though not nearly as fine as the Browning. If it is made in Belgium, then it is not a Norinco.

Man's last hope... The Star Wars Kid.. Jedi Master!

axF69201.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It is a Browning. Serial 314488. FABRIQUE NATIONALE D'ARMES DE GUERRE. HERSTAL-BELGIQUE. BROWNING'S patent depose. It has not been polished/reblued. But the engravings are inexistent.[B)]

Breech
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by breechman
    It is a Browning. Serial 314488. FABRIQUE NATIONALE D'ARMES DE GUERRE. HERSTAL-BELGIQUE. BROWNING'S patent depose. It has not been polished/reblued. But the engravings are inexistent.[B)]

Breech

If you don't like I'll give you my address[:D]. Its a fine rifle regardless of the fact that there is no engraving.

axF69201.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Beeramid
    Originally posted by breechman

Breech

If you don't like I'll give you my address[:D]. Its a fine rifle regardless of the fact that there is no engraving.

axF69201.gif

Jijiji.......[}:)]

Breech
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is this it by any chance? This is the BAR .22 model.

BAR.jpg

axF69201.gif
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by breechman

Breech

According to "Rifles of the World", F.N. in Belgium made what was called the "Model A" 22 Auto, until the mid 60's. Supposedly it was the plain/basic version, without engraving. As your located in Chile, this might be the model you have, instead of the more ornate version sold in the US?

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
    edited November -1
    I have a Browning 22 auto grade 1 (there were 3 levels) mfg in 1956 in Belgium. Not much engraving, but, some (similar to olive branch halves one top & one bottom on either side.
    I also have one made in Japan in the 80's and it too has the same level of engraving.
    Therefore, I don't think being from Chile has anything to do with the engraving. Maybe it's just one that slipped through "uncut" as it were?

"the difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between a lightning bug and a lightning bolt" - Mark Twain.