In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

gunsmith/engineering/stress question

john in jaxjohn in jax Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
edited July 2005 in Ask the Experts
I'm looking at buying a mech-tech CCU (carbine conversion unit) in 460 Roland.
here's a link
http://www.mechtechsys.com/1911.html

My question is that, with this unit, it seems like my 1911 frame is mostly functioning as a grip, trigger group and magazine well. Am I wrong?

There are all kinds of recoil warnings about this cartridge in a handgun configuration, but in this particular carbine unit it seems like my 1911 frame would be isolated from most of the punishment. Am I right about this?

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello these units are straight blowback and doesnot use the frame to absorb recoil however the bolt would have to be very heavy.I shot one in 45acp and was not impressed with group size.
  • Options
    codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    Just my 2. Want a carbine,buy a carbine. Want a pistol, buy a pistol. Just hit the "Back to GB" button. You'll find everything you need.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my gun.
  • Options
    john in jaxjohn in jax Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If they make a carbine in 460 Roland (other than the mech-tech CCU) I can't find it. The 460 roughly the equivilant of a 44 mag - - a semi-auto 44mag-like weapon for +/-$300 sounds great to me - - if it works.