In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Can I buy a .50 in California ??

Johnny45Johnny45 Member Posts: 159 ✭✭✭
edited July 2005 in Ask the Experts
Last year I saw a .50 rifle for sale at Turners but they dont have it there anymore. I thought I read they have been banned in California. Are they still sold here brand new ? Also, are semi-auto models legal anywher in the USA ?

Comments

• Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Well the firearms that fire .50 BMG round is now illgal to sell thanks to the Terminator. I belive you can still have .50 black powder firearms or guns like the .50-110, ect.

John
  • Options
    edited November -1
    arnie banned the weapon ? that piece of poop, i even voted for him. can you buy the weapon used though ?
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Johnny....... Guns that fire the .50 BMG are illegal for sale in Calif beginning at the start of 2005. This includes new as well as used guns. If you bought one before the 12-31-04 cutt-off, you can keep it but it must be registered.

They are now handled the same as the horrible Assault Weapons. All .50's must be registered by 4-30-06. This ban includes bolt actions, belt feds etc.

These guns can still be bought in most other states.

Joe
    "Never let school interfere with your education"
  • Options
    jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    Yes.

Depending on which .50 caliber firearm you buy, it is either legal or a felony.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Johnny45,

Sometimes the laws can get confusing with regard to the various states and how they choose to view and handle the 50 BMG. The Office of the Attorney General for the State of California has a webpage with all of the Questions and Answers that you could need. Also read the left side of that page for other topics regarding firearms and the State of California.

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/50bmgfaqs.htm

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for the link, i'll check it out. i really want to get one of those rifles.

speaking of the state attorney general...did you know he has an art exhibit that shows the american flag being flushed down the toilet in his office ? he says he "makes you think" and that "if you dont like it dont look at it" the guy is a communist pig
  • Options
    D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    quote: i really want to get one of those rifles.

Inless you move out of California cause I don't see them changeing there minds[:p] your SOL. Or next best thing 338 Laupa before its outlawed.[:D]