In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

help with some ammo

coopermountaingunscoopermountainguns Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited April 2008 in Ask the Experts
I got a couple of larger boxes from an estate. In it was several thousand rounds of this 8mm mauser ammo. Does anybody know how to read the markings on this as to manufacturer? a lot of it is marked with "17 49 (4-sided diamond shape) (6 pointed star shape)" A lot of this ammo is on strippers with markings of "49 (4-sided diamond shape)".

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/4/1/5/4/2/7/webimg/102241794_o.jpg
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/4/1/5/4/2/7/webimg/102241798_o.jpg

Also got a big U-Haul box full of old shotshells. Is this kind of thing collectable or should I just give it to the kids to shoot up? Markings on it were assorted, but of like of "No 12 US *", "1901 Leader", "1901 New Rival" "Mallard S.R.&Co" "1901 Repeater", etc..

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/4/1/5/4/2/7/webimg/102241813_o.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    www.cartridgecollectors.org
    There is a headstamp uide available on the home page, and a nice forum with some very knowlegable folks on it.

The good news is that the shotgun shells are collectable, the bad news is that the # of shotgunshell collectors is limited (most are into metalic cartridges).
    When you ask about the Mauser stuff, be sure to state what color the primer and case mouth sealant is, along with any color markings on the bullets themselves. The Germans had some "interesting" load variations, including explosive bullets. One rare (IIRC only 9 are known to still exist) was a "armor peircing, tracer, self distructing" bullet that would blow itself up in flight.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I've not seen it from the 40s before but otherwise looks like Yugo 8mm. If so, it is berdan primed and corrosive but should be decent stuff otherwise; if you have an 8mm, try shooting it- otherwise it should bring a nice price on the auction side as 8mm surplus is scarce these days.
  • Options
    ammo guyammo guy Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The ammo is with out doubt Yugo mfg, '49 indicates that is it 1949 mfg. As stated above it is Berdan primed and corrosive. No reason it should not be good shooting quality.
  • Options
    OleDukOleDuk Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Could the 6-pointed star indicate Israeli manufacture?
    OleDuk[:)][:)]
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am on the road right now, but have a bunch of Turk 8mm at the house, seem to recall the 6 pt star on some of it.
  • Options
    golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The old winchester are definately collectible I assume you don't have the boxes but guys who have partials will want it Some of the old stuff should bring enough to make it worth you while
  • Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi,

The 7.92mm ammunition is from Czechoslovakia. It is not Yugoslavian.

The diamond symbol is a rhombus.

Czech.jpg

czheadstamp-1.jpg

I hope this clarifies the identity of this ammunition.

Regards,

Heavyiron