In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt 32-20

JohnIIIJohnIII Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited April 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have a Colt 32-20 that is in fine/excellent condition.It's been in my family for 70 years. I am considering selling it and need a ballpark figure. I know one must see it to be accurate but a ballpark is fine for now. The serial number is 209470. It has a 4 3/4" barrel,still has blueing and case hardened,is considered to be 60-65%. No rust or pitting. Original grips in excellent condition ( very small nick at end of grip. All lettering crisp and sharp. Action tight. In all the years we owned it, maybe one box of shells fired through it. Can someone help?[8D]

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello close-up in focus pictures would go a long way in determining value and what model. You have I suspect it is a 1901 made colt Single Action Army one of the classic model colts of all times. value can double between 90% and 98% so we really do need pictures. It sound like a very nice pistol. I would never sell a family piece but it should find a GOOD HOME.
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    John, like perry shooter says; clear detailed pictures posted in this forum would be a tremendous help. You can find instructions regarding posting pictures if you look at the top of this forum or follow this link:

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294

Unfortunately, the chambering (32-20), serial number (209470), and time in your family (70 years) doesn't help accurately identify the correct model of your Colt. However, with a 4 _ inch barrel and blue/case hardened finish I agree with perry shooter in that you probably have a Single Action Army. Condition, originality, and amount/condition of bluing and case hardening dramatically affects value. However, the 32-20 chambering isn't as desirous and valuable as some of the other calibers, but still valuable.

If by chance you wanted additional information to authenticate the as shipped configuration of your Colt, here is a link to Colt's Archive Services. From there you can get to the list of available services and the price list, which is from 2005, but as of late last year these prices were still good. Prices are high, $100 for a Single Action Army. Authenticating letters are always good when trying to sell a gun as valuable as a Colt Single Action Army.

http://www.coltsmfg.com/cmci/historical.asp

Honestly, I couldn't sell a gun that came down though my family, but if you feel the need to then we will certainly try to help you establish a value.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll gladly pay you $100 tuesday for your .32/20 today[:D]
  • Options
    modocmodoc Member Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ahh yes another ONE..Why do you have this gun if you really don't want it ?? Isn't there another in your family who would love to have it and carry on the family keepsake value ?? It burns me up to hear of this.. If you had to pay for it,,then you can stand on both legs,,however if it was trusted to you because you asked for it then you might ask your kinfolk if one of them weould like to pay the amount you paid before offering it to an outsider..Trust me it has a much higher value to a family member than to an outsider..I hope you will at least give them a chance..I had a deal like that happen to me and can't get over it yet..a step cousin traded my Grandfather;s 1895 Winchester sporter in 303 British for a cheep assed bolt action 30-30 straight across..this after I stood up at the burial reception and said the it mattered not who in the family took possession of his rifle but it WOULD stay in the family..3 months later I tried to check it out as for cleanig and lube to find out it had already was GONE..can you blame me for hitting the roof??modoc
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by modoc
    Ahh yes another ONE..Why do you have this gun if you really don't want it ?? Isn't there another in your family who would love to have it and carry on the family keepsake value ?? It burns me up to hear of this.. If you had to pay for it,,then you can stand on both legs,,however if it was trusted to you because you asked for it then you might ask your kinfolk if one of them weould like to pay the amount you paid before offering it to an outsider..Trust me it has a much higher value to a family member than to an outsider..I hope you will at least give them a chance..I had a deal like that happen to me and can't get over it yet..a step cousin traded my Grandfather;s 1895 Winchester sporter in 303 British for a cheep assed bolt action 30-30 straight across..this after I stood up at the burial reception and said the it mattered not who in the family took possession of his rifle but it WOULD stay in the family..3 months later I tried to check it out as for cleanig and lube to find out it had already was GONE..can you blame me for hitting the roof??modoc

Lot of times this kind of thing is done out of pure spite/malice. I been in involved situations where there is so much hate between different branches of a family, they don't care what something is worth. Long as they can keep it out of another family members hands that they don't like, they will virtually give it away.
  • Options
    breakerdanbreakerdan Member Posts: 364 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IF you have a single action army it was made in 1901 according to the serial number. Most single-actions of this era never sell for less than $1850 if in original condition. If it is not a "SAA"
    you possibly have a Colt police positive or army special.
    Look on the left side of your gun's frame and look directly below the cylinder. If it is a single action army, it will have patent dates from the 1870s. Great family piece...hold onto it if you can, with all due respect. I would love it if I had something like that in my family.

By the way, the 32-20 was a pretty hot cartridge in its day. Make sure not to fire any rifle loads or anything marked 32-20 WHV in it.
    I have fired the older high velocity rifle loads in my Colt Single action, but the gun is new from the colt custom shop. Any load from Remington or Winchester made recently is safe in older guns unless they are not in correct, safe condition.