In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

History/Value of "Leman" Kentucky long rifle

dstuartbluedstuartblue Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited August 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have a "Kentucky" long rifle marked "Leman" on top and "Lanctr, Pa" on second line located on side/lock plate. Rifle is 63" overall w/walnut? full stock, w/faint evidence of fake curl painted on full length of stock. Octagon barrel is 47 3/4" long and appears to be 45 cal?. Steel hardware except brass double trigger gaurd. Rifle is in overall very good to excellent condition (no bar' blood on stock). I have read about Henry E. Leman born in Lancaster, Pa. in 1812 on the "Leman" website. Any additional info and approx. value would be very appreciated. Any other owners?? Thanks in advance, Don.

Comments

• Options
    rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good luck with finding history of your Leman. The reason most of these old gun survive at all is that some family held on to them all these years. Finally some one decides to sell it or throwit out & someone rescues it. If you can connect with the trail you may have a chance.

For example, my Leman which is a half stock, probably later than yours. Back in the 1950s, here in Oklahoma, my Father was given it by an Indian business man friend. It was in pretty bad shape and the man said maybe my dad would ge interested in it. With it was the story that it had been given to his grandfaher by the government when the indians were moved to OK from the South over the 'trail of tears'. Later in a friends library I chanced upon an article mentioning a contract in which certain indians were give a mule, a blanket and a rifle. The article described the rifle, close enuf that I think is is all a straight story.

I rebuilt it for shooting, restocked to original dimensions, shape, etc Had I known then what I know now I would have restored it to something close to originality.

Hope this helps & again Good Luck!
  • Options
    mongrel1776mongrel1776 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What you have may very well be an original Leman -- however, as rufe-snow suggested, you need to post pictures, the more the better.

The brass triggerguard used in contrast to the rest of the hardware being iron/steel (iron was actually more commonly used than steel on guns of this vintage) was a Leman trademark. Not all Leman rifles are so appointed, but I don't know of another maker who appointed any of his that way. However, it's possible, and the fact that the lockplate is marked "Leman" is no guarantee that the whole rifle was a Leman product. Leman's factory made a large number of locks for sale to other gunsmiths; marked with the Leman name, these locks ended up on the products of who knows how many other makers.

Hell, there's even a Mike Lange (that would be me) halfstock, built as a favor to friend who had a mess of parts he wanted assembled to a new but old-looking stock, that has a Leman lock.

The stock, BTW, is most likely plain maple that has blackened with age. Leman quite often artificially striped his maple stocks to give them the appearance of curly maple -- but so did other makers, such as Henry Gibbs, also of Lancaster, PA.

Please post photographs. That would go a long way toward being able to say Yes (or No) it appears your rifle is (or isn't) a Leman.
  • Options
    dstuartbluedstuartblue Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mongrel1776
    What you have may very well be an original Leman -- however, as rufe-snow suggested, you need to post pictures, the more the better.

The brass triggerguard used in contrast to the rest of the hardware being iron/steel (iron was actually more commonly used than steel on guns of this vintage) was a Leman trademark. Not all Leman rifles are so appointed, but I don't know of another maker who appointed any of his that way. However, it's possible, and the fact that the lockplate is marked "Leman" is no guarantee that the whole rifle was a Leman product. Leman's factory made a large number of locks for sale to other gunsmiths; marked with the Leman name, these locks ended up on the products of who knows how many other makers.

Hell, there's even a Mike Lange (that would be me) halfstock, built as a favor to friend who had a mess of parts he wanted assembled to a new but old-looking stock, that has a Leman lock.

The stock, BTW, is most likely plain maple that has blackened with age. Leman quite often artificially striped his maple stocks to give them the appearance of curly maple -- but so did other makers, such as Henry Gibbs, also of Lancaster, PA.

Please post photographs. That would go a long way toward being able to say Yes (or No) it appears your rifle is (or isn't) a Leman.
    thank you for responding and sharing your wisdom...will get some pictures..soon, regards, don
  • Options
    nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    See your messages. I gave you the proper info to get to long rifle collectors. GB is a great site, but doesn't really cover PA/Kentucky rifles.
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Can You Post a couple of Photos of your LEMAN Rifle...?