In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Trap gun adjustments to line of sight

djh860djh860 Member Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭
edited May 2010 in Ask the Experts
I just purchased a Winchester 101 pigeon grade trap gun online.( $750) I have never shot trap. It does not have a big raised rib but it has a very high comb.

When I look down the barrel I see the whole length of the barrel and both beads. On my field gun when I look down the barrel I see no barrel and both beads blend into one. Clearly if I put my front bead on a target my trap gun will be aiming above the target. Is this how a trap gun is supposed to be set up?

Comments

• iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Yes, because you are "supposed" to be shooting the clay while it is still moving up...
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, as previously posted, the bird is still on the rise. Also, it might have been the previous owner's prefference to "float the bird on top of the sight. A lot of clay shooter's don't like to cover the bird, as opposed to hunting, where you put the bead on where you wish to center the pattern.

Best
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you patterned it yet?
    Your shot pattern should be in the 65% above/35% below the top of your front bead when your beads are "stacked" (snowman, figure 8)
  • djh860djh860 Member Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My beads are not stacked. When I shoulder the gun there is a visab
    visable space between beads. No snowman effect.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your not stacking now, it sounds like the comb of the buttstock is to high for the build of your face.
    Before you do anything to the gun, take it out and pattern it (48" paper target at 40yd) to see where it actually shoots for you.
  • Idaho bobIdaho bob Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As an old trap shooter with better than 100,000 registered targets let me add one other factor to the above posts that are also correct.The sight picture you have now will shoot high as stated and if you are a beginner you will probably shoot slower when the target has finished its rapid climb and started to flatten out and this is a bad combination. I would suggest you get an assistant, set a trap in the center hole (so it only throws straight aways) and shoot targets from post three to see the sight picture that crushes targets at your speed.This is better than paterning the gun at a sationary target.
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Patterning is important.

Because the bird may drop before you can shoot it. You want to be able to see the bird drop so the bird should be above the beads. The sight picture with my trap gun is a figure eight with the front bead above the middle bead and the bird above the front bead.

Good price on the pigeon grade.
  • djh860djh860 Member Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will do all that has been suggested. Is it possible that the stock has been adjusted with shims at the receiver. Should I take it apart and have a look? Is that common?
  • XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FYI...Shotguns are patterned at 21 yards. If you try shooting at a four foot square of paper at 40 yards, you'll have shot spread all over the place and NO DEFINED CENTER of impact. Put an aiming point on the paper, (solid 2" circle made with a felt pen) and shoot at that point of referance. Then see where your shot pattern impacts relitive to the point of aim.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Uh, shoot the gun?
    MY trap gun sets up with rib visible between the beads and actually shoots rather flat.