In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Doublestar AR's

JoeFazJoeFaz Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
edited May 2010 in Ask the Experts
Just found out about this maker today. Looks like some good stuff at great prices. I see a lot of guys build their own with uppers/lowers. This too, is new to me. My question is, when I see a "complete upper" for sale, and a "full lower/receiver", are these the only two parts needed to make it into a fully functioning AR? Does "full upper" inclue bolt, etc. and lower the trigger, etc? I saw an add for the full upper and comlete lower Doublestar for a total of well under $600.
(Sorry for the newbie question)...[:I]

Comments

• Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Full upper doesn't necessarily include the BCG
    An assembled lower will include all the FCG but may not have the buttstock as different folks may want a different one.
    You have to make sure from each dealer

CP
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cpermd
    Full upper doesn't necessarily include the BCG
    An assembled lower will include all the FCG but may not have the buttstock as different folks may want a different one.
    You have to make sure from each dealer

CP

As I looked a little further I see that it does not include the BCG or the charging handle. Still, not a bad deal though. About $750 for the whole gig. And from all I read, Doublestar makes a top quality item and they are good people to deal with.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need to be careful when buying the upper. Way too many sellers will picture an upper with the charge handle and BCG and then in the fine print announce that those parts are not included butfor sale at an additional cost. I got dinged on one of those a while back. When I called the seller, the answer was "Oh, we forgot to change the picture". I would not call the upper complete w/o those parts and you should consider that to be correct, the upper should include at least the bolt with which it was headspaced. Some of these sellers are buying the "complete upper" and then selling the BCG and charge handle separately to try to make more money which I don't consider ethical.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    You need to be careful when buying the upper. Way too many sellers will picture an upper with the charge handle and BCG and then in the fine print announce that those parts are not included butfor sale at an additional cost. I got dinged on one of those a while back. When I called the seller, the answer was "Oh, we forgot to change the picture". I would not call the upper complete w/o those parts and you should consider that to be correct, the upper should include at least the bolt with which it was headspaced. Some of these sellers are buying the "complete upper" and then selling the BCG and charge handle separately to try to make more money which I don't consider ethical.

Excellent advice, thanks. I'm learning more each day.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think this been answered, but to look at it from a different angle, the market right now is such that its probably not possible to find a new pre-assembled AR-15 for "well under" $600.

Minimum price for a quality build would be about $600. . .and most are at least $100 more.

So without knowing ANYTHING else about this ad, I'd say its virtually a given that you'll need to add a bolt-carrier to get this to work.

Assembled lower should, of course, have a trigger group.