In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Removing bluing ?

gene4570gene4570 Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
edited May 2010 in Ask the Experts
I have a Contender barrel that really needs a rebluing job but I thought that it might be nice to keep it "white". What is the best way to remove the bluing ? Are there chemicals that can do this or is old fashioned elbow grease the best way ? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    b0400879b0400879 Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Re: 'I thought that it might be nice to keep it "white".'
    Dear fellow,
    In this case, yer asking a lot here of chemistry, faith, etc here. How did you plan to prevent oxidation for a stripped-blue ITW barrel?

The world is full o' Bubbas - whom desire to repair what is not defective. Thus, be well-advised to stop the above thought "process" & somehow retain some value on that worn TC tube
  • Options
    HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    gene4570---Birchwood Casey makes a blueing remover. Should be available at your local gun store. You are not likely to think that the finish that remains is very attractive though. It is almost guaranteed that it will rust if left that way. BAD IDEAR
  • Options
    djh860djh860 Member Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Naval jelly rust remover. Lightning fast. You can buy it online. I think bluing is a type of rust so it makes sense.
  • Options
    Ned FallNed Fall Member Posts: 662
    edited November -1
    Naval Jelly avialable from your local hardware store will remove blueing. Blueing after all is nothing more than controlled rust and Naval Jelly remover rust. It will leave the barrel in a gray color. To obtain a shiny white color, the metal will have to be polished and it will start to rust the moment you quit polishing.
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bare steel will not rust, if you keep it oiled.
    There are several rust removers available at hardware stores.
  • Options
    stegsteg Member Posts: 871 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why waste money? Degrease the blued parts with denatured or full strength isopropyl alcohol and then soak is club soda or coca cola. If you use coke, you will have to rinse the sugar syrup off.....still a lot cheaper than rust remover.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stripping bluing is pretty easy.

There are several products on the market specifically designed to do that, and of course old fashioned naval jelly (which is gelled phosphoric acid) can do it too. I think CLR will also work.

Coca-cola contains extremely dilute amounts of phosphoric acid, and while it would probably **SLOWLY** eat away bluing if you had nothing else to use, its certainly not ideal for this application.

Frankly, at only $5-6 a bottle at ACE hardware, on a per piece level its probably actually cheaper to use naval jelly than Coca-cola, let alone easier and faster. (IE your $5 bottle of naval jelly can strip 50 gun barrels).

For something like a simple one piece gun barrel, refinishing it would be so easy, that I just can't see any reason to leave it in the white where its likely to rust.

There are any number of relatively easy to use finishes that should give acceptable results without too much expense. Also, if its just one part, it may be possible to have it reblued relatively inexpensively.
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Different stokes for different folks; interesting and all workable.
  • Options
    hslaterprycehslaterpryce Member Posts: 927 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about glass beading?
  • Options
    buckmeister2buckmeister2 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    a lot of people don't know it, but a scotch-brite pad in medium or coarse will remove the bluing in seconds, literally. I can do an entire rifle barrel in maybe two minutes. Just wrap it around the barrel, and start twisting back and forth with applied pressure. finish it off with a fine pad, and you are in great shape. maybe coke is easier, and i have used NJ, which works. I like to avoid chem whenever possible, though.