In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Trapdoor springfield questions

roadchoadroadchoad Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
edited May 2010 in Ask the Experts
This is posted for sale on another site. What do you think re: condition?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Comments

• Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Cut-down full length service rifle. Metal roughly 'emoried', along with the wood re-finish. The rifle is not correct.

If seller is touting 'original', then he most likely has it priced as an original..and you'd be spending too much. Others will chime in on value.

How's the bore?

EDIT
    Below is a link to a factory new (reproduction) Springfield carbine (good eye-candy!)..if you are not a collector. If you are a collector, no reason to buy the rifle you have posted due to the statement by me prior to the edit of this post.

Now, after looking at the auction side of Gunbroker:

Unmutilated rifles like yours was prior to the 'major surgery' are running between $400-$600 in comparable shape.

Carbines (like yours is trying to look like)-the real carbines-are running between $2500-$3000.

Here's the link to the new one! Good luck!
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=171242166
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Joe is correct: it's a cut down rifle, both stock and barrel, with sanded wood and metal. Value is as a parts gun only and totally worthless to a collector.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Guy wants $1200 and is touting it as "authentic" and "It hasent been cleaned or mess with" and "missing ramrod"...
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by roadchoad
    Guy wants $1200 and is touting it as "authentic" and "It hasent been cleaned or mess with" and "missing ramrod"...

Then aren't you glad you checked in with us first?

And if you wanna be mean, C&P the link of this discussion, and post it where he can read it. Best, Joe
  • Options
    edited November -1

That guy's either a liar or a fool. It might be worth $200 or so in parts (lock, trigger assembly, breechblock and Buffington rear sight).
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115

That guy's either a liar or a fool. It might be worth $200 or so in parts (lock, trigger assembly, breechblock and Buffington rear sight).

Now Spidey...

I went there recently with a made in 1918 1892 Winchester in 357 magnum that was a rare and all original takedown trapper. Yes, I know the guy said that "IF" it were, and "do your own research", but he had talked to the historian at Winchester....

[:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115

Now Spidey...

I went there recently with a made in 1918 1892 Winchester in 357 magnum that was a rare and all original takedown trapper. Yes, I know the guy said that "IF" it were, and "do your own research", but he had talked to the historian at Winchester....

[:D][:D][:D]

Uh-Huh. And, this piece of junk is a rare, one-of-a-kind experimental "carbine shotgun short-rifle" authenticated by the Springfield Arsenal historian. [;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. I wasn't really that interested, but I hated to see someone else get taken, and if it was worth more than $1200, well you know ;)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. I wasn't really that interested, but I hated to see someone else get taken, and if it was worth more than $1200, well you know ;)

You were wise to seek information before bidding. Unfortunately, too mamy people don't do their homework, only to regret it later. Or, they overpay for something like this and come in here asking "Did I get a great deal, guys?", only to face the ugly truth. Thus, Caveat Emptor is the rule.