In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pre Woodsman Questions

MOONEDMOONED Member Posts: 936 ✭✭
edited May 2010 in Ask the Experts
OK, I've found a very decent pre Woodsman in better than 90% condition. Probably closer to 95%. Anyway, the only concern I have is the grips are no longer checkered AT ALL. I have seen some older grips that when worn, begin to look rounded as if they were never checkered at all. This does not appear to be the case, because nowhere on the grips is there any checkering. But, there is a nice diamond on each grip where the screw would retain them is located. By the way, I do not have a picture to share due to the item being at a local gunshop.

Question: Did Colt ever make a "smooth" grip for this model?

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

Comments

• Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pre-Woodsmans are quite rare in 95% condition. If the grips don't appear original, and without checkering they likely are not original, you should look real hard for re-blueing indications. These guns were well liked and consequently were generally used a lot. . . .and show it. Serial number?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The serial number is in the 22,100 range. I have had a variety of 1903 and 1908 Colt models and I would assume that the coloration of the original blueing in these models is similar to the bluing used on the Woodsman model. Given this, I do believe the finish to be original. Also, the rampant colt on the left side of the slide is quite crist, with no signs of additional blueing. The only wear is at the muzzle where it was probably holstered and typical handling marks.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MOONED
    The serial number is in the 22,100 range. I have had a variety of 1903 and 1908 Colt models and I would assume that the coloration of the original blueing in these models is similar to the bluing used on the Woodsman model. Given this, I do believe the finish to be original. Also, the rampant colt on the left side of the slide is quite crist, with no signs of additional blueing. The only wear is at the muzzle where it was probably holstered and typical handling marks.

The S.N. dates it to 1920. To find one that 90 years old with original 90+% finish is extraordinary. The grips are your only problem? People do funny things though, perhaps a former owner just didn't like the checkering fo some reason.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Buy it I see grips for sale here and other places. .90% that old hard to find. Wear at muzzle a GOOD thing in my opinion at least you know it was not reblued last week to make it LOOK GOOD . I dont buy 100% guns because I Like to shoot what I own. I have no room for safe queens. Sold the last collector grade 90% + lugers 2 Navy's and a carbine when they hit 5 figures no fun to own some thing you are afraid to shoot.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, I found the pistol yesterday at a small gun store about an hour from the house. I have not had a Woodsman, and didn't know enough to feel confident with the purchase when I was there yesterday. Also, I had no clue as to how "readily available" the correct grips would be for this model. Last night, I looked at some auctions and feel confident that I could locate a set fo grips for the pistol pretty easy (for a price). But the price tag on this old Colt is $325.00 so I definately feel that I would still be way ahead of the game on the purchase.

Thanks all for the input,

Aaron
  • Options
    22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Woodsman's are great guns and fun to shoot. At that price you can probably always get your money back. Highly doubtful that what you're looking at is a 95% pre-Woodsman though. One in 95% condition should be in the $1000+ range. The correct period grips in good condition are likely to cost as much as the gun. If you looked at the pre-Woodsman auctions you likely noticed that guns in the serial number range you mention have different grips than those on the later First Model Woodsmans. Also you probably noted that the original magazines are two tone. If the one in the gun you're looking at is not two tone it is not in its original condition. You might also want to check the mainspring housing. The early guns were made for standard velocity ammunition and Colt changed out the mainsprings later for high velocity ammo. No big deal really as you can still get standard velocity 22s but something to be aware of as you should not shoot high velocity ammo in a gun that has not had the housing changed. Good luck.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    MOONED......I would be all over it for $325! Hope you got it. Perryshooter has it right...grips for it come up time to time. They are useless without the pistol so I would snatch it up pronto!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, I picked up the pistol today. I'll try to get some pictures taken and posted later.