In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rifle barrel-to-stock fit

Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
edited May 2010 in Ask the Experts
Alright,

I recently purchased a old style Ruger skeleton stock(synthetic). I then traded for a Ruger Compact rifle. I didn't originally buy this stock for this rifle, but I thought it would look really good on there, so I figured I would see if it would fit. Well, it fits very well everywhere but one 2-3" spot. Right where the barrel begins to taper there is a sizeable 2-3" gap and then it begins to fit really well again. This makes a lot of sense considering this is the real short 16.5" barrel.

What is the easiest, but also most "get it done right" way to fix this in your guys opinion?

Jon

Comments

• Options
    260260 Member Posts: 1,134
    edited November -1
    i am thinking that you are wanting to put the action of the compact in the synthetic stock. i understand, i think, what you are saying.
    i would get the brownells glass bed kit. mix the epoxy with the black coloring dye to match. then follow the instructions TO THE LETTER. this should give you the results you are looking for. hope that helps. 260
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Slightly different twist.
    If it were mine, first I'd do nothing and shoot until I decided if the bedding work would only be cosmetic, or if it might need to be tweaked to improve accuracy. If cosmetic only, I'd put a single piece of duct tape along the section in question, coat with release agent for good measure, then follow the bedding directions as suggested above.
    Finally, remove tape, and you're good to go.
    If you think proper bedding might improve accuracy, then you can play around with various options; full length bedding, pressure on fore-end tip, full free float, bedding first few inches under chamber, etc.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glass it up. You can always dremel it off if its tight!
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. Just the type of info. I was looking for.

If is shoots good, I am not even really worried about the cosmetic looks of it, but I don't want crap getting crammed in between the barrel and stock in bad weather, etc.

Jon