In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sighting in 243

dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2011 in Ask the Experts
When sighting in your scope at 25 yards, where do you want the bullet to strike in relation to the 25 yard bullseye to have the bullet actually dead on at 100 yards? Like so many things, once upon a time I knew this, now I can't remember. Thanks. I should add that I just do the 25 yard to get on paper so I can start the serious dialing in.

Comments

• Options
    Floyd58523Floyd58523 Member Posts: 231 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the ammo you are using is factory load, look at the box and it will tell you the bullet drop. Different size and weight bullets will have a different drop.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dreher,

In general you want it about 1" low. That's based off a 1-1/2" high scope center over the rifle bore center.

When you check it @ 100 then you will be close enough to adjust from there as to how far out you want to zero. It never hurts to go back to 25 yds. and see exactly where you were hitting when zeroed where you want to be.

Edit:

Play around with this awhile and see what you want to shoot where to get where you want to be at long range:

http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi
  • Options
    oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Put them in the bull , and then move to 100 Yds. A Rifle sighted in at 25 Yds. isn't ready to go hunting .
  • Options
    HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go to any bullet mfg. web site, and go to their ballistics soft-ware program. You can plug in any cartridge, bullet, B.C., velocity, and print out your chart accordingly. I tend to use Hornady's HAWKSHAW
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most centerfires in the velocity range of the 243 when sighted to hit center @ 25 yards will be close to center @ 200 yards. This is dependant on the height of the scope above the boreline. A scope mounted on extra high or see-thru rings will be much higher at longer range.
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1" low is the figure that was in my mind, just wanted to verify that. I tend to be lazy when dialing in a scope. I shoot 1 shot at 25 yds. This will almost always be on the paper. I adjust to center, and bring it in about 1" low. I can usually do this in 3 maybe 4 shots. Close enough that I can easily see bullet holes for making my adjustments. Then I move the target out to 100 yds and get serious. Usually by starting at 25 yds. I save a bunch of time and ammo. Last Fall my third 3 shot group was centered and 1 1/2" high at 100 yds. Total of 12 rounds to sight in for deer season. During season, 4 shots, 4 deer. I love starting at 25 yds.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dreher,

I went and tested mine today @ 25 to see where it would hit @ 100. Mine took about 3/4" low to hit @ 100.

Man was it ever hot here today!
  • Options
    keystone1974keystone1974 Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ur not talkin bout a 300, or 308... But sighted in at 25 yds is 1 1/2 high @ 100yds; and on the money at 200 yds... Sum heavy 308's are 1/4-1/2 low at 200yds sighted in at 25 yds. Know ur talkin bout 243... But thinkin their pretty close