In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

mato bolt sticking

laogailaogai Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
edited July 2011 in Ask the Experts
i have a beretta mato in 270 that i like a whole lot except for one thing-- the bolt is very sticky. seems to hang up in the rear section of the receiver when cycling. no amount of cleaning seems to help. the maddening thing is that it wasn't that way at first, started after a few hundred rounds. i had a gunsmith check it who sent out of town so i don't know what they found but it came back fine. then after a few dozen rounds it started again. extremely accurate, great trigger, all weather and i love to hunt with it but dread the prospect of having to take a 2nd shot.

ideas???

Comments

• Options
    zimmdenzimmden Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What kind of gunsmith can't give you a reason after "fixing" it?? Could it be a rear scope base screw extending into the receiver too far? Use a magic marker and darken the bolt. The binding should show up on the bolt and show area of concern. Good luck.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    it was a gander mountain "gunsmith" who ended up fired so they sent it to one in another state. however they did refund all labor costs. thanks for the advice i'll try it.
  • Options
    cussedemguncussedemgun Member Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    laogai,

Sounds like a case of the locking lugs on the bolt forming burrs or otherwise deforming.

The ammo/brass should be dry & clean. Any lube on the brass or in the chamber will let the brass slip instead of gripping to the chamber walls. When fireing with lubed brass, the full force of pressure & recoil will hammer the bolt locking lugs to the rear of their mating notches in the action.

I would contact the manufacturer/importer for an authorized repair station & then send the gun to them for inspection.

Jim
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    www.berettausa.com
    Find your closest authorized dealer and have them ship it to Beretta. You pay shipping there they fix for free and you pick it up.

Good Luck