In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1924 Spanish 32-20

bullin82bullin82 Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
edited July 2011 in Ask the Experts
I'm not sure how to post pics from my phone but I have an older revolver its says FCA DE ARMAS GARANTIZADAS 1924 EIBAR. on the side of the barrel says 32-20 long ctg. Has white plastic grips made to look like antlers maybe. Has a round wheel release on the left side. Just wondering if anyone would know anything about it?
this is what the ol' girl looks like
gun.jpg

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The information I have is that it's a Spanish knock-off of a Colt Police positive. The companies name given in my reference is, Fabrica d'Armas Garantazada of Eibar Spain. The cylinder release is a latch in front of the cylinder on the crane.

Although it's a uncommon handgun, there is little collector interest in these older Spanish revolvers. Since they aren't also known for the quality of their workmanship and materials, care should be taken if you intend to fire it. Best to have a competent gunsmith check the timing and lockup of the cylinder, and test fire it.

EDIT #1, Your revolver is of later production, as the Spanish factories weren't required to have mandatory Proof Marks until the mid 20's. Even with the PM's though I would not put to much faith in it's materials and workmanship.

EDIT #2, Very little collector demand/value for these older Spanish revolvers in the States at this time. Also because of their poor reputation as far as material and workmanship is concerned, few knowledgeable folks buy them as shooters.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would guess it looks something like my Spanish POS:

Spanishrevolverleft.jpg

This belonged to a police officer who, I suspect, used it for his "drop" gun. It is unsafe to fire.

Neal
  • Options
    hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .32-20 seems to have been a favored caliber, maybe because the soft iron cylinder walls were slightly thicker than .38s and didn't rupture as quickly... I once had a similar Garate & Anitua .38 Special whose chambers had swollen to where the larger diameter .38 S&W rounds would easily chamber, and some cylinder locking recesses had bulged out flush.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have read that the Spanish gunmakers contracted 8mm Lebel revolvers for the French along with the large numbers of Ruby .32 autos. Then after WW I they found they could build .32-20s with the same barrel tooling with only a chamber reamer required to give them a gun in a commercial caliber.
  • Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a spanish copy of a S&W in 32-20, looked good from the outside.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote: EDIT #1, Your revolver is of later production, as the Spanish factories weren't required to have mandatory Proof Marks until the mid 20's. Even with the PM's though I would not put to much faith in it's materials and workmanship.

Thank youi was just wondering about any info ive had this thing for years and had never looked into it at all. I dont plan on shooting it ever just maybe making a shadow box with it in or something
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Now does any one think this thing is worth anything to anyone?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Now does any one think this thing is worth anything to anyone?
  • Options
    kooterbillkooterbill Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My great grandfather had one very similar to nmyers picture. He used it as his service weapon. He was the first sheriff of Hood county in
    Texas. Not sure of the years when he was sheriff, but I now have the gun, and he put three notches in the grip(don't know any more history about the gun). The cylinder will not lock in place until
    the hammer is pulled back. It was made that way. I didn't know that until I took it to a gunsmith.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,763 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Put it up for auction here,,,will bring 100-150...ymmv.