In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Charter Arms AR-7

mackcranemackcrane Member Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2011 in Ask the Experts
Any one have experience with these. Also made by Armalite and Henry. I was given one by a co-worker. Its in good shape. I did notice that it has a hard time cycling HP 22Lr ammo but the fmjs are ok. It also needs a spring for the mag release. Came with 10 or 8rn mag and a 30rnd mag(which I cant find anywhere). But hey free is free.

Comments

• Options
    mackcranemackcrane Member Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shot one of these a while back, pretty accurate, too bad there wasn't room for extra ammo storage. I know Gene Stoner designed it for the military, but was it actually used by them? Thanks.
  • Options
    hedgehopper62hedgehopper62 Member Posts: 636 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They made larger mags. for them I had 2 extra ones for mine.tks hedge[:D]
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The AR-7 is based on the earlier AR-5, which is a nearly identical design except that is bolt action and chambered for the .22 Hornet cartridge. The USAF tested did adopted the AR-5, but only bought a handful of those rifles. The AR-7 was tested but never adopted by the military, however it proved very successful commercially.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    my armalight original has a lone star grip with a snap door in the handle to store loose rounds
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine lets you stow the action with a fully loaded mag inserted and then also has a slot back there for an additional mag. Nice little gun. Yes, they do float. Mine will float with about an inch of the buttstock exposed above water. You won't find it very easily if you drop it in the middle of a lake, but if it falls out of the boat and you know it right then, at least it doesn't go straight to the bottom. [:D]
    Powerful? Well, James Bond brought down a helicopter with one in "From Russia With Love". [;)] Actually, he hit a guy in the chopper, causing him to drop his hand grenade in the cockpit. Ouch! [:D]
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Henry makes 'em now; kinda slid up the price scale.
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fun little gun and rugged. All cased up inside its own stock, it is pretty invulnerable. Used to keep one stashed under the seat of my pickup. Sometimes, out in the wilderness, it was fun to drag it out on the spur of the moment and do a bit of plinking. Or, stashed away under a seat or in a trunk, it just might serve as a survival asset. Sure, there are better survival firearms. But it's better than not having any firearm at all. [:D]