In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

333 OKH Belted

hanco1hanco1 Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
edited July 2011 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone know if the 333 OKH Belted uses .333 or .338 bullets? The rifle was built by Charlie O'neil.

Comments

• Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "All Tripped Up | Rifles | Guns & Ammo Apr 25, 2010 ... The steep-shouldered .333 OKH Belted came later; it used .338 bullets. Replacing .333 bullets with .338s in the original (rimless) OKH case ...

You might think about slugging the Bbl.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The guns and ammo article is what led to my confusion. Every other link I had found said the 333 OKH belted is a 333. I will have the barrel slugged for sure.May not be good to send a 338 bullet down a 333 barrel.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The .333 OKH, .334 OKH, and .333 OKH Belted were developed long before the .338 Win Mag came out. The only source of .338 bullets at the time was those for the .33 WCF which would not be what you want in a magnum bolt action. I think they were all meant for the .333" bullets meant for .333 Jeffrey. Might be why they called them that, eh?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That is what I would think also. Maybe the guns and ammo gun writer is miss informed. IF you look up 338 Win Magnum,it tells you that exact thing.I haven't gotten the rifle in hand yet.Just bought it on gunbroker. It comes with dies.I should be able to mic the expander ball one the decapping die. It comes with several hundred bullets. The seller says the bullets checked out to be 333.The bullets are Whitworth.I have never heard of this brand. I mostly wanted a Charlie O'neil rifle. I have several Biesen,Iver Henriksen,and a Keith Stegall rifles. No US maker manufactures 333 bullets anymore,but a few are available from over seas.
  • Options
    jrpmccoyjrpmccoy Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes indeed they are all 333 bullets with just case changes. The 333 OKH was based on the 30-06, the 333 OKH Belted or OKHB ons the 300 H&H and the 334 OKH on the 375 H&H. I have a document image of The Handloader Magazine #4 from Dec of 1966 that goes thru this. It also talks about Charlie's Duplex Cartridge... he actually thought about the powder being blown out the end unburned and made a case that had a tube up the center over the primer to ignite from the middle. What an inventor!
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recommend always slug the bore and measure what you have if you're unsure. Slugging the bore will be instant peace of mind for you, and the accurate measurement can help be a dealmaker if you ever intend to sell and the future buyer isn't sure of what he is getting.

Shoot safe!