In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Military stock finish question

yblockheadyblockhead Member Posts: 943 ✭✭✭
edited July 2011 in Ask the Experts
I've seen reference to a mix of 1/3 beeswax, linseed oil and turpentine for military stocks. I mixed up a batch tonight (smells nice enough to run the Mrs out of the garage!) Anybody have good/bad luck with this?
I'm putting together a Smith Corona 03A3 with an aftermarket "C" stock and I want it to achieve the 10' rule to make it look correct.

Comments

• Options
    thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had to match an M1 carbine handguard, I bought a few but none would match the original stock. I lightly sanded one and applied Minwax dark walnut stain and let it dry. Then buffed it with a rag using no finishing coat and it matched the stock perfectly.

I also believe the miltary had recommended a coat of linseed oil on gunstocks in the field to protect them. I also feel you should experiment on scrap wood as linseed takes a long time to dry.

my .02 cents good luck, Thor
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everyone has their favorite "recipe".

The US military never used a beeswax mixture for wood stocks. For many years they used boiled linseed oil, then changed over to pure tung oil.

I prefer Formby's tung oil, diluted with paint thinner. 3-4 coats is usually enough. I rub with 0000 steel wool between coats & after the final coat. YMMV.

M1carb225333g.jpg

Neal
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    the mix you mentioned works well, I've used it several times. boiled linseed oil works well to but takes several coats and is time consuming, same with tung oil.
  • Options
    firstharmonicfirstharmonic Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That three-part mixture is sometimes referred to as "gunny paste" for reasons easy to figure out. And Neal is right - there was never an official (as in Dept. of War/Defense) issue of any such mixture. But it has been reported to have been unofficially a barracks-made stock polish that saw use when service rifles still had wood stocks.

I've never used it as the only finish on a gunstock but I apply it on all of my milsurp rifles as a final polish. Gives the wood a nice glow but not at all anything like a plasticy sheen.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    That is about the same mix we use. The finish matches very good.