In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mosin Nagant question -- M38 and M44

spinneyrobspinneyrob Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
edited July 2011 in Ask the Experts
The M38 and M44 have a few visible differences: no bayonet vs. bayonet, metal-framed sling slots vs. partially metal-framed sling slots.

My question is this: are there any functional or mechanical differences between the two rifles? Is one action better than the other? Is one barrel superior to the other? In terms of performance, are the two rifles more or less equal?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Fred1911Fred1911 Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Regarding the action, barrel, & performance you are correct in
    that they are more or less equal if not identical. Stocks vary
    as to sling slots. Whether the bayonet on the M-44 (or Chinese Type-53) is extended or not effects the point of impact. I enjoy all of mine & they have an impressive muzzle flash! Enjoy!
  • Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The M44 and M38 are basically the same except for the bayonet on the M44. I prefer the M38 as I don't have any pressing need for a bayonet on a carbine. There is another similar carbine, the Model 91/59. It appears much like the M38. However it was made by simply shortening the longer barreled M91/30 to carbine length. (possibly in 1959?) It retains the longer rifle style rear sight found on Model 91/30's while the M38 has the carbine type rear sight. In addition, there is the M91/38, also a shortened version of the M91/30. It differs from the 91/59 in markings and it has the short carbine sight like the M38. Both the M38 and M44 were designed and manufactured as carbines while both the 91/59 and the M91/38 were modifications of the M91/30 rifle.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spinneyrob
    My question is this: are there any functional or mechanical differences between the two rifles? Is one action better than the other? Is one barrel superior to the other? In terms of performance, are the two rifles more or less equal?

Thanks.

As mentioned, only significant difference is the folding bayonet on the M44, and a slightly different stock design to accomodate it.

If you don't like a bayonet on your gun, you can remove it pretty easily. If I remember right, you just take open up one screw, and the whole thing comes off.

This is what I did with my "beater" M44 "scout" gun (see below). If they bayonet lug annoys you, you could always grind it off, though I don't see a good reason to do that. I've always figured, I might be able to figure some way to hang something ELSE off that lug, (like a bipod or flashlight) and that might be pretty handy.

Actions, barrels, and performance should be similar, with the caveat here that there can be a wide variation in performance between individual Mosin guns of any type. Remember, lots of these old Mosins saw actual wartime use, meaning they've been exposed to corrosive ammo in field condition. So bore quality can vary greatly, from literally pristine and unissued, all the way to sewer-pipe like corrosion. There were huge stocks of unissued M44 carbines on the market for years, and you can still find them for private sale, but those have dried up.

Most of the guns on the market now are "re-arsenalled" meaning, they've been factory refinished. Some are put together from parts, so parts serial numbers may not match. And many of the M44s have counterbored barrels.

DSCN0626.jpg?t=1311794357