In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.308 ammo ?'s

fl23infl23in Member Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
edited July 2011 in Ask the Experts
I got some ammo in the reloading room in .308 There are 3 different types of tips on them. I have some incendiary rounds but not sure on the others. They are green but not like the "flat" US military paint. It is shinny. Also have some two tones stuff too. They are red tip with a ring of blue underneath the red. This paint too is shinny. They ammo is remanufactured so I'm assuming headstamp wont help. any ideas what they are? I'm thinking the green are just tracers and the red/blue are incendiary tracers?

dgac

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    ok i am wanting to find a non fmj factory round that is just as accurate as my FMJ boat tail. what do u reccomend? my gun seems to like NON silver tip or lead soft point. i normal (target shooting) use a 150grn FMJ boat tail. gun is a Sako .308 iirc 1:10 twist.

lmk what u recommend for target & hunting
  • Options
    HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello---Try some Berger VLD. A little more expensive, but may be worth it. Or Nosler Ballistic Tips, or Sierra Match King. HAWKSHAW
  • Options
    keystone1974keystone1974 Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My vepr 308 likes Black Hills Gold in TXS 168 gr and also the 168 gr MHP... Their accurate and the txs is a boar killer... Expensive though....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawkshaw
    Hello---Try some Berger VLD. A little more expensive, but may be worth it. Or Nosler Ballistic Tips, or Sierra Match King. HAWKSHAW

arnt the noslers and sierra match king just a bullet for use with reloading not box ammo
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,687 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Federal Gold Medal Match. Federal uses the Sierra 168 or 175 grain Match grade HPBT bullet. I get sub 1/2 MOA out of a Remington LTR with this ammo.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,801 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Appearance wise the Sierra is a close match to the FMJ military bullet. It seems odd to me that generic fmj is more accurate than better quality commercial hunting ammo but some rifles are quirky.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    accuracy is not the a big prob i shoot .65-.75" groups with soft lead nose rounds with occational stray. I have had a seal sniper that shoots at same range shoot same result well tad better. but with commercial fmj sub .5 all day long. i really just want my fmj grouping with a hunting round. best i have found is federal (blue box) i cant remeber real name. and that is on closer to .75" avg. my 1970 rem 700 30-06 was just as quirtky with non boat tail soft nose but less accurate
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hornady Match ammo with either the 168, or 178 grain A-Max. I just got my GAP-10 broken in, and have not had a chance to load up any rounds for it yet. I purchased some of the 168 grain A-Max match loads. It will hold 3/8 MOA all day long. I am extremely impressed with the rifle and ammunition both.

Best

EDIT 1

Riomouse911,

I mention the Hornady Match load, that is loaded specifically with the A-Max bullet for a reason. Like the SST, and Nosler BT, and Accubonds, it WILL expand on game. Even at longer distances over 600 yards.

Best
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What are you using it for? Coyote? Small deer or pronghorn? Lots of target bullets will put shot after shot into one hole and might work OK on a 100 lb deer or a desert dog, but they're not a good choice for big muley, black bear, big hog or an elk.

Outside of the all-gilding metal bullets, think about what you want to use it on and run from there. Barnes' X or the newer TTSX etc have worked for me, and I won't hesitate to use a 130 grain .270 on any of the above critters with the load. A 150 in .308 will do fine on all of them as well.