In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

colt marked magazines

coronelcoronel Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
edited July 2011 in Ask the Experts
Are the colt marked magazines with the pony and an s on the bottom plate oem?

Comments

• Options
    fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
    edited November -1
    For which gun?
  • Options
    coronelcoronel Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Then the answer is "no".

Neal

EDIT: IIRC, in the 1980's one contractor shipped a huge batch of Government Model "genuine Colt parts" mags to Colt, but Colt rejected them because they were not made to spec. The manufacturer wasn't about to throw them away, so they were sold to a distributor, & showed up at gun shows all over the country. No way to tell them from "good" mags. Don't know the manufacturer.

EDIT: Txs, the ones you described are USGI WW2 contract mags; mags with the pony & a letter are series-70 & later commercial mags.
    ColtCommandermags.jpg
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,017 ******
    edited November -1
    I had a blue one so marked and it was not a Colt. It was a piece of crap. It developed cracks on the spine where the feed lips attach. I tossed it.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    Scovill Mfg. was a USGI 1911 magazine subcontractor.

I don't know if that's what you have, but their's were marked with the Colt emblem on the bottom of the baseplate and the letter S on the top baseplate's forward lip.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are fakes around ,,I so believe there is a person here on G.B. that sells all kinds of "real" junk mags,