In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Help identify this old tool

buttplatebuttplate Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
edited July 2011 in Ask the Experts
Hello!
I came across this old tool today at a garage sale and it intrigued me so the fellow just gave it to me. It has the date of 21 July 1863 along with some letters that looks to be the word "patent". I am thinking it's a civil war tool of some kind because of the date stamp.
Anybody here have any ideas as to its purpose?
Thanks!
buttplate

000_0390.jpg
000_0391.jpg
000_0400.jpg

Comments

• Options
    GarthGarth Member Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I'm correct, it is a tool to "personalize" lead ball ammo. Watch "The Patriot" and you will see Mel Gibsons character use one while sitting around the camp fire while at the mission/swamp. I'm sure others will be along shortly to give better clarification.
  • Options
    45er45er Member Posts: 245 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Howdy buttplate,

Wish could help, as know have seen something similar, but memory is a fog-job at times. I'm "thinking" some type of crimper, but for what??

If cannot find a for sure answer here, look though this site, though may take some time going through it, or even post it there...
    http://55tools.blogspot.com/ ... their sole purpose is ID'ing old timey tools.

Garth, how do you mean "personalize"?

45er
  • Options
    roadchoadroadchoad Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What does the working end look like? Could it be a ball sizer?
  • Options
    MPMP Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's for setting the teeth on a wood saw.
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MP
    It's for setting the teeth on a wood saw.
    BINGO !!! [:)]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee